• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH but from abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worked from Spain part of the week every winter for the last 3 years. Hopefully this winter will be 100% remote so I won't have to fly back and forth each week, which would be fortunate as I can't imagine there being anything like the same level of flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      If you tried that on systems I've setup, you'll be flagged as a high-risk user and be blocked.
      They you'd be talking to the security people about what you've done that flagged that risky behaviour.

It will work in most cases though.
      You wouldn't know.

If set up properly, your IT department will have no idea. Solution is this: You set up a VPN on your access point/router/whatever in Spain and it connects to your home broadband (or a nice friend on fibre broadband) in the UK. Your laptop used on this WiFi AP in Spain has a local not internet routable IP address on the local network. The APs handle the VPN connection from Spain to UK home/friend. Result: The traffic is routed from the UK AP to the company and therefore the IT department and the company laptop would not know where you are. The DNS entry on the company VPN concentrator is the UK home/friend IP address on the logs. This works if you're using VPN software on the laptop. If it's Citrix, it will still work well.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
        You wouldn't know.

If set up properly, your IT department will have no idea. Solution is this: You set up a VPN on your access point/router/whatever in Spain and it connects to your home broadband (or a nice friend on fibre broadband) in the UK. Your laptop used on this WiFi AP in Spain has a local not internet routable IP address on the local network. The APs handle the VPN connection from Spain to UK home/friend. Result: The traffic is routed from the UK AP to the company and therefore the IT department and the company laptop would not know where you are. The DNS entry on the company VPN concentrator is the UK home/friend IP address on the logs. This works if you're using VPN software on the laptop. If it's Citrix, it will still work well.
        yeah, that's what I meant!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
          You wouldn't know.

True. I had assumed a public VPN service.
          I personally wouldn’t do it as you describe though. Too much reliance on a local internet you can’t fix.
          Use AWS or Azure. They don’t get flagged as public VPN by the risk algorithms.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
          X