• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50 - 55 euro per hour, Ireland / Cork - survivable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, OG huge thanks for digging out details etc.

Turns out one role is gone, it was Carrigtwohil, the other one is Athlone, both tell me absolutely bugger all, seems fairly remote.

The other backup plan is to piss off from the UK / Ireland overall at least for a year, to avoid the whole Brexit bag of tulipe and then perhaps come back when the dust settles (if there's anything left). Would allow me to re-train in software engineering, so perhaps a better option overall anyway...
    This is what I am planning on doing when this contract ends and I inevitably can't find another one. Just spend the year somewhere warm and cheap upskilling at your own pace.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, OG huge thanks for digging out details etc.

Turns out one role is gone, it was Carrigtwohil, the other one is Athlone, both tell me absolutely bugger all, seems fairly remote.

The other backup plan is to piss off from the UK / Ireland overall at least for a year, to avoid the whole Brexit bag of tulipe and then perhaps come back when the dust settles (if there's anything left). Would allow me to re-train in software engineering, so perhaps a better option overall anyway...
      Athlone is a nice enough town on the Shannon, but a pain for airports.

Comment

Hmm I must've had some pretty incorrect assumptions about tax in Ireland as those take home figures are not too bad.

Rent prices seem to be around the 1500 euro mark in the area, what's to be expected when owning a car (which I'll drag along from the UK), insuring it etc.? Or two actually as I'm sure my wife would kill me if I got rid of hers. Would another 1500 cover food, bills etc.when staying in, occasionally eating out, but still not living like hermits? Just trying to estimate what could be saved and put away.

Comment

Hmm I must've had some pretty incorrect assumptions about tax in Ireland as those take home figures are not too bad.

Rent prices seem to be around the 1500 euro mark in the area, what's to be expected when owning a car (which I'll drag along from the UK), insuring it etc.? Or two actually as I'm sure my wife would kill me if I got rid of hers. Would another 1500 cover food, bills etc.when staying in, occasionally eating out, but still not living like hermits? Just trying to estimate what could be saved and put away.
          You said survivable! Everything in Ireland is more expensive except public transport and Tesco mini poppadoms. Trains and buses are much cheaper and season tickets are fully tax deductible - YourCo can pay for it. But the train service outside of parts of Dublin isn't great.

You could do it for 1500 but for 3 of you, reckon on 2000 to 2500. You'll want to look into health insurance. The public health system makes the NHS look enviable, and you pay for GP visits, although your kid will get them free.

Import your cars if you've owned them for more than 6 to 12 months - I forget which. Google VRT exemption import and expect to bring a lot of paperwork for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            You said survivable! Everything in Ireland is more expensive except public transport and Tesco mini poppadoms. Trains and buses are much cheaper and season tickets are fully tax deductible - YourCo can pay for it. But the train service outside of parts of Dublin isn't great.

You could do it for 1500 but for 3 of you, reckon on 2000 to 2500. You'll want to look into health insurance. The public health system makes the NHS look enviable, and you pay for GP visits, although your kid will get them free.

Import your cars if you've owned them for more than 6 to 12 months - I forget which. Google VRT exemption import and expect to bring a lot of paperwork for this.
            Food, alcohol, groceries are on my experience so far +10-25/sometimes 30% more expensive , the baseline I'm still trying to get used to is something that costs 12.00gbp should cost 13.euro, but it usually costs 15.

Unleaded is generally more expensive given fx rate, diesel is cheaper given fx rate, but since we're stuck in covid globally , I don't see this as being the real price.

Comment

You’re using assumptions to make a decision like this????
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The difference in costs was less when the pound was stronger.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
                  Food, alcohol, groceries are on my experience so far +10-25/sometimes 30% more expensive , the baseline I'm still trying to get used to is something that costs 12.00gbp should cost 13.euro, but it usually costs 15.

Unleaded is generally more expensive given fx rate, diesel is cheaper given fx rate, but since we're stuck in covid globally , I don't see this as being the real price.
                  Welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    This is what I am planning on doing when this contract ends and I inevitably can't find another one. Just spend the year somewhere warm and cheap upskilling at your own pace.
                    I think this is the overall best idea with the Brexit chaos, 2nd wave, economic doom surrounding the UK.

The Best Countries With Long Term Visas for Digital Nomads | Outsite Blog
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      You’re using assumptions to make a decision like this????
                      I didn't do thorough checks as moving to Ireland became an option roughly a week or so ago. I was simply doing a rough assumption that retention is around 50-55% but I missed the bit about higher personal allowances if you are married with an unemployed spouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X