• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract or SOW?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract or SOW?

Taking on a couple of direct projects likely to last just a few days each. Quick question... do i need to provide a full IR35 friendly contract or will a SOW suffice? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Maybe both? Have the contract to deal with all the legal framework and a SOW to define the specific deliverables. That's how I'm currently working.

I've previously worked off just a SOW but then you have to make sure it's clear about things like payment terms and how remedial work is dealt with, etc rather than just stating the work to be done and the price. The client for that just ignored the payment terms on the SOW and imposed their own, which was a tad annoying.

Comment

Bearing in mind they are two different things why do you think one will cover the other?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For a few days I would agree some terms and conditions re payment and request a purchase order. Just be clear on the PO whether they are buying time and materials or outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          For a few days I would agree some terms and conditions re payment and request a purchase order. Just be clear on the PO whether they are buying time and materials or outputs.
          Agree with this, you don't need a full contract.

If its really a couple days of work you aren't going to sue them for non payment anyway, you'll likely not do any further work with them while chasing down the debt as best as you can and write it off if you can't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Agree with this, you don't need a full contract.

If its really a couple days of work aren't going to sue them for non payment anyway, you'll likely not do any further work with them while cyouhasing down the debt as best as you can and write it off if you can't get it.
            Speak for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Speak for yourself.
              Would you sue a company for 2-3 days of work? Its fine if you will. I probably wouldn't bother. I would relentless harass them and might even pay a few quid for a letter from a lawyer threatening legal action but I probably wouldn't take legal action.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                Would you sue a company for 2-3 days of work? Its fine if you will. I probably wouldn't bother. I would relentless harass them and might even pay a few quid for a letter from a lawyer threatening legal action but I probably wouldn't take legal action.
                Yes I would. But horses for courses.

Comment

SOW can take months in big co’s to get approved

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

These are fairly small companies that I'm about to start working with

Sent from my SM-N960F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                    X