• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employers NI, In or Out of rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually it does. They should be advertising the rate to the worker from which Employee NICs and PAYE and holiday pay will be deducted (by them or the agency or umbrella). Employer's NICs and Apprentice Levy are the client's costs and not part of the worker's income at all.

Falsely advertising the gross rate (i.e. before all deductions) is what Dave Chaplin has called the smurf rate - attractive but doesn't actually exist. It is also illegal under Section 10 if ITEPA. Even applying GoT's rule of thumb above doesn't work if you don't know the starting point.

But then again, we are talking about agencies here. Truth is a variable concept...
    Surely that is done on purpose so that someone says yes without asking questions like inside / outside, ltd / umbrella and just starts, then realises (or not perhaps) that there's way less money and it goes into their personal account rather than business account, has a re-think, sees the crap market state and just carries on?

As for Employer's NIC being part of client costs, I'm sure we can all agree that the rate will simply be reduced by (accidentally) the same amount as Employer's NIC - so technically not deducted from the rate, it's just that the real rate will be a lower rate. I agree of course that the ad should simply state what you get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
      Yeah that makes sense - trying to work out my take home pay from a contract via an umbrella is a bloody nightmare.
      No idea what the perm market is in your skillset but it is possible that you'll be able to find a perm job which offers similar money to umbrella at which point I'd just go perm and enjoy all the benefits (and most likely MVL the ltd).

Comment

you will get 57% net with umbrella

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          you will get 57% net with umbrella
          I wish. Looks more like 50% from my workings. Guess it depends on the day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            No idea what the perm market is in your skillset but it is possible that you'll be able to find a perm job which offers similar money to umbrella at which point I'd just go perm and enjoy all the benefits (and most likely MVL the ltd).
            Most likely that’s what I’m going to do long term. At least I get three months salary as a redundancy package

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
              Most likely that’s what I’m going to do long term. At least I get three months salary as a redundancy package
              And that's tax free so should last more
              than 3 months

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                the ad should simply state what you get paid.
                It doesn’t for permie jobs. So why should it for contractors?
                A permie take home will be dependant on student loans and tax code. A contractor rate is a little more complex. You need to find out at point of application. Just like a permie does.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  It doesn’t for permie jobs. So why should it for contractors?
                  If you don't understand that, then YANCOTBAC....
                  A permie take home will be dependant on student loans and tax code. A contractor rate is a little more complex. You need to find out at point of application. Just like a permie does.
                  A permie is not entering into a business transaction, merely settling a comfort factor as part of their potential employment. A contractor is supposed to be agreeing a price for a specific piece of work..
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Day Rate is the rate to the employer. Same as it has always been.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      Day Rate is the rate to the employer. Same as it has always been.
                      The issue is that it shouldn't be - the rate displayed should reflect the rate you receive as an employee (i.e. after Employer NI has been deducted).

David Chaplin calls it a Smurf rate as it's something that makes serious sense but allows a whole world of crap dodgy firms to promise more than what the person actually gets.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X