• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you take a short gig with long payment terms during this period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    That does depend on the factoring company you use - most will insist on factoring everything, the ones we plan to use don't.
    Presumably they charge a larger fee then?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Presumably they charge a larger fee then?
      Pass but I departmentalise costs - small consultancy work we don't factor, larger consultancy work we do, support and licensing is paid up front so I don't want them anywhere near that.

The reason we use them is because it allows us to offer contractors weekly payment with 1 week terms...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Wouldn't see it an an issue, I have IPSE+, once the first month is down then you'll get paid monthly anyway... have done this before without issue and it all works out the same at the end of the day. The tangible challenge will be getting your client to sign off timesheets (where required) before the monthly deadline so that you're not deferring too much into the next month... but again, it all comes to you at the end of the day (well, month)
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Would you take a short gig with long payment terms during this period?

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Wouldn't see it an an issue, I have IPSE+, once the first month is down then you'll get paid monthly anyway... have done this before without issue and it all works out the same at the end of the day. The tangible challenge will be getting your client to sign off timesheets (where required) before the monthly deadline so that you're not deferring too much into the next month... but again, it all comes to you at the end of the day (well, month)
          It is a two months only gig so first payment would arrive theoretically when I am off-site. Generally I would trust the agency as well but considering it is a small agency and this period that we are going through... not quite sure.
          I don’t trust insurance products either, at least from what I’ve seen they are good at “buying peace of mind” and only that.

I am pretty sure that if I were to make a claim for 30k the insurance company would put more man power for themselves to get out of it than sorting it out for myself. It is just how business is. Would you start a fight with defenseless small guy or mid-size agency with legal department that “have been around the block”?

One of the gigs went silent. The second one, had a first chat with one of the directors, second chat to follow next week including the main guy. Small consultancy around London, seem decent and I think I could be of better use there than somewhere else.
          I’ve developed quite a strong anti-corporate, anti-politics tendency and trying to figure my way around that.
          Keeping it about the things that matter - the work.
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 9 September 2020, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            So, question is quite simple. Have had 2 chats during previous week.
            Both 2 month gigs with small agencies. One of them mentioned weekly invoices(albeit the interview appointment failed to arrive so far).
            Both assumed 30days payment terms so payment might arrive after you've left clients site.

Would people take them? Considering the risk of non-payment, racking up additional expenses?
            Must admit when you said, 'Long Payment Terms' in the title, I was expecting 60 days.

30 is fine.

Comment

Working...
            X