• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters and rate per hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiters and rate per hour

Just wondering what others modus operandi is when posed this question by recruiters. I always find it quite opportunistic, you're being asked to price yourself prior even seeing the work or getting a feel of the client requirements. Sometimes you'll get send a JS or brief that's all very high level 'Fix the computer' 'Make sure it works' blah blah.

Window shopping if you will, me thinks.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    Just wondering what others modus operandi is when posed this question by recruiters. I always find it quite opportunistic, you're being asked to price yourself prior even seeing the work or getting a feel of the client requirements. Window shopping if you will.

Thoughts?
    Lowest bid wins - so don't expect anything to come from it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Lowest bid wins - so don't expect anything to come from it.
      Yes, but what would you do. Ignore the recruiter?

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
        Yes, but what would you do. Ignore the recruiter?
        Stock answer - depends on the actual job requirements so it's too early to say.

My point was that as soon as I hear that question I write the contract off as it isn't going to go anywhere...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I always used to say. I only quote on detailed spec and there are a number of factors that affect the rate so for a general sweep anywhere between NMW and £200 per hour.

This gets rid of the tyre kickers fast.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

When asked to give a rate, I give a range and state that my rate is determined by the role and its location.

Sometimes I hear back, sometimes I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              When asked to give a rate, I give a range and state that my rate is determined by the role and its location.

Sometimes I hear back, sometimes I don't.
              So knowing you, Ken High Street standard rate, anything further than lower Ken Church Street x4?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                So knowing you, Ken High Street standard rate, anything further than lower Ken Church Street x4?
                I may stretch to a full half mile radius from my front door before the price goes up.

My rate more depends on how interested I am in the gig. If it's an industry I'd like to get into or a project that sounds good then I'll take a lower rate. Repeat clients won't get fleeced as they tend to generate longer term work. Next time Barclays or RBS come calling, they will get the sod off and leave me alone rate (and, yes, if I'm not working I'd take the gig at that rate until I find somewhere sane to work)

Comment

Surely you have an hourly rate plus expenses, just quote it.

I don't quite get the "I need to check it out", unless you want to signal you're putting your rate down.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 September 2020, 21:36.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't have a problem with pricing myself based off the original job ad, the client (company + industry + location), working conditions (hours, flexible working, etc), how desperate or interested I am. So I just ask these questions back. Also sometimes I ask them what the client's budget is or what rates other candidates are being submitted with, it's like 50/50 whether they offer that info up. The more information you can get the better but they can also lie and you can end up getting anchored as well. Obviously in an ideal world you would negotiate directly with the decision maker and only after they have decided they want you but the world is not ideal.

Comment

Working...
                    X