Amazon recruitment process - anyone here been through it? Amazon recruitment process - anyone here been through it? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 44

Double Godlike!

they might ask if you can tell the difference between Lose and Loose.
    i'd watch that.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    they might ask if you can tell the difference between Lose and Loose.
    i'd watch that.
    If your belt is loose, you may lose your trousers

Some things in Moderation

Most aptitude tests I've taken I've failed.

I knew that I would never be able to pass those aptitude tests because they weren't looking for the skills I possessed (pattern recognition, resource investigation, creative problem solving etc).

I got my current role via a structured interview, they work out better for me.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

More time posting than coding

Imho those tests are only good for picking out people who can estimate quickly as this is often what you have to do in order to answer fast. The issue is that the answers are often very precise, so rough estimation of sums based on say a graph is still pointless as you'll get a ball park figure and you can only pick from numbers which often have decimal points. If you don't estimate and still want to be quick then you'd better be fast using a calculator, so perhaps accountants do well in these.

Overall, a waste of time as the math problems presented are trivial and it's only about the time it takes to "solve" them. It does however (I presume) remove a good chunk of candidates and maybe that's the whole idea.

Some things in Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    Overall, a waste of time as the math problems presented are trivial and it's only about the time it takes to "solve" them. It does however (I presume) remove a good chunk of candidates and maybe that's the whole idea.
    As an ex-adjudicator of such a test (aptitude testing for NVQ programming apprenticeships back in the 90s), you are correct.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Tech companies like Google, Amazon, FB have tried to make their perm interviews as tough as possible so that they get the cream of the talent. They do offer above market rates and deserve to up the game while interviewing.

However, the tough interviews and white board coding in these companies have made all the other crappy medium sized companies think that they also need to follow similar practices. Couple of decades ago I had applied for a perm position offering 35k and was amused when they gave me a sheet of paper with requirements for a shopping cart and given a laptop with Visual studio and no internet and told to write the code in one hour. I did make a start, but the senior developer sat next to me and started peering over my shoulder ( trying to make sure I dont copy/paste code ? )
    Yeah, every 2-bit software company with 8 employees wants to ask "how many coffeeshops are there in the UK" or "you have 8 weights 7 weigh the same as each other, how many attempts do you need on the scale".

Half the time it's to make the interviewer feel clever. Maybe more than half.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah, every 2-bit software company with 8 employees wants to ask "how many coffeeshops are there in the UK" or "you have 8 weights 7 weigh the same as each other, how many attempts do you need on the scale".

Half the time it's to make the interviewer feel clever. Maybe more than half.
    Both questions are valid, the latter really only has 1 answer (it's 3 although you could do it in 1-4 checks if you do randomly weigh pairs), the former should be an interesting discussion as to how you would estimate the details.
    Last edited by eek; 28th September 2020 at 14:21.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Both questions are valid, the latter really only has 1 answer (it's 3 although you could do it in 1-4 checks if you do randomly weigh pairs), the former should be an interesting discussion as to how you would estimate the details.
    Valid, but not very relevant when the job is writing boilerplate code to follow a spec, or bashing out web-pages. Fun as it is to catch out 99% of developers who instinctively go for a binary search.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Valid, but not very relevant when the job is writing boilerplate code to follow a spec, or bashing out web-pages. Fun as it is to catch out 99% of developers who instinctively go for a binary search.
    Why would I want people who can code to a spec - I can offshore all that. What you need is people who can write or at least query the spec and then write it/
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Godlike

I'm looking to apply to Amazon/AWS but there are dozens of jobs that all sound very similar.

By applying for one job does that automatically exclude you from other jobs, or is the company forward-thinking enough to consider an application across a range of departments/jobs?

I don't have AWS or Cloud experience by the way, so I am trying my luck to see if they would consider an experienced on-premises architect.