• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slight change in business direction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight change in business direction

So last night one of my competitors (who has spent too long looking at wordpress without quite grasping how wordpress works) moved to a freemium model that rather destroys one of my business models (not that I care that much as it wasn't working as well as I hoped).

Which means I better open source the competing product and add on the license management software that he can't offer - which means a few more days without paid work but needs must.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    So last night one of my competitors (who has spent too long looking at wordpress without quite grasping how wordpress works) moved to a freemium model that rather destroys one of my business models (not that I care that much as it wasn't working as well as I hoped).

Which means I better open source the competing product and add on the license management software that he can't offer - which means a few more days without paid work but needs must.
    Is it a google killer search engine?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Is it a google killer search engine?
      Nope a simple CRM solution for sales and customer service that runs on top of Microsoft's Power Platform - so you can use it with a £7 a month license. We used to give it away as part of a support agreement, now we are going to give it away without that support agreement as I suspect there is going to be a battle for ownership of the baseline and you need to be in it to win it.
      Last edited by eek; 11 September 2020, 12:31.

Comment

Nope a simple CRM solution for sales and customer service that runs on top of Microsoft's Power Platform - so you can use it with a £7 a month license. We used to give it away as part of a support agreement, now we are going to give it away without that support agreement as I suspect there is going to be a battle for ownership of the baseline and you need to be in it to win it.
        I bet Elon Musk is tulipting himself!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          I bet Elon Musk is tulipting himself!
          Does not compute - mainly because Elon Musk's only software business is internal systems within cars - and a Model 3 / S really doesn't need a CRM solution within it.

Comment

Just hope he has borked his pricing model and see if he folds.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

These days, Subscription Model (with an option to cancel anytime) works better than any other model. It is likely that your competitors freemium won't be completely free. It might be free basic functionality + expensive add-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                These days, Subscription Model (with an option to cancel anytime) works better than any other model. It is likely that your competitors freemium won't be completely free. It might be free basic functionality + expensive add-ons.
                Nope their offer has gone from monthly fee to free as their plan is to make money from the customizations.

And I know both he and me will be selling premium addons (and support agreements) I just wanted to throw the first (of a number of) spanners in his direction.
                Last edited by eek; 15 September 2020, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
                X