• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Portugal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Portugal

Hi - i currently live and work in Dublin as an I.T contractor - umbrella company. With the advent of working from home I am seriously considering the possibility of relocating to Lisbon - and continue working as I presently am. The only thing that would change would be the geography - id still remain with the same company.

Would anyone have experience of doing something similar? What i'm trying to ascertain is the tax advantages - how much tax would I save by relocating and paying tax in Portugal rather than Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a Lisbon based accountant who would have experience in this type of thing?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

If you are still working via the Irish Umbrella company (and you will because if the end client / agency won't want any additional risk) you aren't going to see the tax advantages.

You are an employee.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDublin40 View Post
      Hi - i currently live and work in Dublin as an I.T contractor - umbrella company. With the advent of working from home I am seriously considering the possibility of relocating to Lisbon - and continue working as I presently am. The only thing that would change would be the geography - id still remain with the same company.

Would anyone have experience of doing something similar? What i'm trying to ascertain is the tax advantages - how much tax would I save by relocating and paying tax in Portugal rather than Ireland.

Can anyone recommend a Lisbon based accountant who would have experience in this type of thing?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
      Before you consider how much tax you're going to save, what structures are you going to use? Are you going to use your current Irish brolly ("Real" Umbrella" or Director's Umbrella) and run a payroll in Portugal paying Prortuguese taxes? Or will you set up a Portuguese company or use a Portuguese brolly and contract with the Irish client / agency (which they may not want to do)?

Worth talking to IPAYE. Sue posts here often and is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        If you are still working via the Irish Umbrella company (and you will because if the end client / agency won't want any additional risk) you aren't going to see the tax advantages.

You are an employee.....
        Correct.

However, other advantages may come through dependent on specific location within; cheaper living, better living, etc.

Comment

It is correct that you should be paying tax in Portugal. You shouldn't remain an employee of an Irish based umbrella, and there should be no tax implications in Ireland, unless you were to commute.

The way to handle would be register yourself as self-employed or setup a company in Portugal and bill the agency or client. You would need to discuss this with an accountant in Portugal.

Agree with the above, you can contact Sue at IPAYE:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ief-guide.html

A key point is you can't decide where you will be taxed, it is determined by where you carry out the work.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 September 2020, 13:20.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Correct.

However, other advantages may come through dependent on specific location within; cheaper living, better living, etc.
            Better weather and lifestyle might be a factor. However, I didn't think Lisbon was a particularly exciting place to work based on my 9 month spell there back in the early 2000s. It might have changed a lot since but it wouldn't be near the top of my list of European cities to relocate to.

Comment

And if you gig is cut short for whatever reason you do what?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Worth talking to IPAYE. Sue posts here often and is very helpful.
                Sue has moved on from IPAYE but that doesn't mean IPAYE are no longer helpful

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...umstances.html

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Sue has moved on from IPAYE but that doesn't mean IPAYE are no longer helpful

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...umstances.html
                  Not very helpful as they never answered my recent queries.

As for the OP this is a typical one post OP, posts question and disappears forever

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Not very helpful as they never answered my recent queries.

As for the OP this is a typical one post OP, posts question and disappears forever
                    Oh. That's a shame. I've never needed to deal with them. Maybe Sue was the only helpful person there then...

Comment

Working...
                    X