• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake1000 View Post
    No.. I don't have a accountant. I manage everything myself
    Not very well it appears. What else have you done wrong that you don't know about and has cost you more than an accountant?

Not knowing you don't have to pay yourself is a very basic gaff.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not very well it appears. What else have you done wrong that you don't know about and has cost you more than an accountant?

Not knowing you don't have to pay yourself is a very basic gaff.....
      I was purposefully not directly given him that (correct) answer so that he was forced to get an accountant
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Plus fairly sure he could have been paying himself more without paying tax but my accountant deals with all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          No need to pay a salary.
          ^^ OG is correct though perhaps poorly expressed: there is no need to pay yourself a salary.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            ^^ OG is correct though perhaps poorly expressed: there is no need to pay yourself a salary.
            You don't need to pay a salary, but if you do it will require a contract of employment (payments from a company without an employment contract are either drawings or dividends).

If you do pay a salary you need to make sure you pay yourself minimum wage for the hous you work for your company (in a salaried manner)

It is simple, but it is also really easy to get confused so you might be best served with an accountant helping here

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
              You don't need to pay a salary, but if you do it will require a contract of employment (payments from a company without an employment contract are either drawings or dividends).

If you do pay a salary you need to make sure you pay yourself minimum wage for the hous you work for your company (in a salaried manner)

It is simple, but it is also really easy to get confused so you might be best served with an accountant helping here
              That's not true. It's fine for a director to draw a salary without a contract of employment. Don't muddy the waters.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                That's not true. It's fine for a director to draw a salary without a contract of employment. Don't muddy the waters.
                Equally it's fine for a director to not draw a salary regardless of whether he has or doesn't have a contract of employment.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Jake1000 View Post
                  No.. I don't have a accountant. I manage everything myself
                  HMRC are going to love you.

And probably sooner than you think.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Stop paying yourself a salary and send yourself a P45, you know you need to give one to your new employer don't you, else you will be taxed on an emergency rate

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Stop paying yourself a salary and send yourself a P45, you know you need to give one to your new employer don't you, else you will be taxed on an emergency rate
                      It wouldn't be a P45, would it? You'd need a new starter form, as you're effectively taking a second job.

Comment

Working...
                      X