• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary Change

Hi,

Being a contractor I have been paying myself £732 for 2020-21. This month I have taken up a permanent job (as a second employment - nothing to do with my limited company). Is it possible to lower my limited company's salary from this month? If yes then how low can I go?

Talk to your accountant.

You do have one?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No need to pay a salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        No need to pay a salary.
        I know I have to pay the salary but can I change it to a low amount? eg £1.00 ?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Talk to your accountant.

You do have one?
          No.. I don't have a accountant. I manage everything myself

Comment

Originally posted by Jake1000 View Post
            I know I have to pay the salary but can I change it to a low amount? eg £1.00 ?
            Why do you know you need to pay yourself a salary? Who told you that?
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Why do you know you need to pay yourself a salary? Who told you that?
              I have always paid myself salary of £732. Now since I have a job I want to save tax and pay myself as low as possible. Do you mean I can stop paying myself even though I am employed by m y limited company?

Comment

I have always paid myself salary of £732. Now since I have a job I want to save tax and pay myself as low as possible. Do you mean I can stop paying myself even though I am employed by m y limited company?
                If you need to ask strangers online this type of question - you need an accountant...
                Last edited by eek; 17 September 2020, 18:29.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Minor point to add, while you get an accountant, also make sure you have the tax code correct for your permanent job.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you are Director and sole shareholder or split 50/50 with spouse, you're not an employee. No need to pay salary. You really do need an accountant though.

Comment

Working...
                    X