• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters Asking About Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    You always have to say yes, but nothing in an advanced stage that will take me off the market yet. Even if you don't have anything lined up or a contract is imminent. They lie, you lie it's as simple as that.
    If you say yes, it means you're sought after and they're willing to go the extra mile for you, well at least some of them.
    "Just started looking" to avoid follow up question where am I in process to and who is hiring manager there...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      You always have to say yes, but nothing in an advanced stage that will take me off the market yet. Even if you don't have anything lined up or a contract is imminent. They lie, you lie it's as simple as that.
      If you say yes, it means you're sought after and they're willing to go the extra mile for you, well at least some of them.
      Well, there's some truth to this but if the agent is that bothered about taking someone in demand, they'll try and tempt someone who's already in a role to jump ship and take up any they have open as they have done in previous slumps.

Comment

I always tell them if I do and even if I don't I tell them I have things in the pipeline. The rationale being that I am a good candidate and there is a demand for my services.

Comment

In general with agents the best thing is to just lie. When they ask, I keep it vague and tell them I have a couple of job ads I've bookmarked but haven't applied to yet, even if I've had interviews or have interviews planned.

I found this sends the message "I haven't anything on the go but if you don't move quick enough I will soon"

Comment

The only language the pimps understand is lie.
            So just do that.
            Tell them he/she is the first call in the whole week..
            That lie will go well anyway in the current market, and that will shut them up and make them struggle to blabber any further about their fake job that they were calling you about, and since you may not have any info that they can pump out, they will quit the call and vanish and never to be seen again!

If they did really have a role, they will stick to the topic / role and see if I am available quickly to pick up the role.
            There won't be the likes of "how are you finding the market" rubbish.

If there is that rubbish coming out of their mouth, its a fake role and they are calling up to fish for your hiring manager's name, your rates, etc.

Bottom-line - just lie. They enjoy it!
            Give them what they deserve!
            Last edited by CosmicWave; 21 September 2020, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              In general with agents the best thing is to just lie. When they ask, I keep it vague and tell them I have a couple of job ads I've bookmarked but haven't applied to yet, even if I've had interviews or have interviews planned.

I found this sends the message "I haven't anything on the go but if you don't move quick enough I will soon"
              The problem with saying the opposite of the truth to an agent is that they are born liars, so will assume the opposite of the truth is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                The problem with saying the opposite of the truth to an agent is that they are born liars, so will assume the opposite of the truth is true.
                So you double bluff them?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                  A half decent recruiter would ask where those interviews are and steal in on the job.
                  I send them on wild goose chases.

Me: "Yeah I interviewed for a big greenfield project at the BoE"
                  Recruiter: "Oh yes, what's the name of your contact there? is that with Dave Smith?"
                  Me: "No. It's with a guy called Michael Leatickchis or Lechtitjk or Keghklis, I can't remember his last name now, but it was something like that"
                  Recruiter: "And that's with IT?"
                  Me: "Not sure, I think they mentioned that they were creating a new group - not sure under which group, but anyway they're hiring about a dozen people over the next year or something like that"
                  Recruiter: "Anything else lined up?"
                  Me: "Yeah, the FCA .."

That gives them enough mud to spin their wheels in ..

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    So you double bluff them?
                    Yep. They’re too thick to work that out.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      What is the thought process behind this?
                      My thought process is: I'm talking to a liar - so I'll lie too.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X