Recruiters Asking About Interviews Recruiters Asking About Interviews
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,917

    Default Recruiters Asking About Interviews

    If recruiters contacting me about a suitable role ask if I have any other interviews lined up, I have noticed that if I say yes I do, I don't always hear from them afterwards.

    What is the thought process behind this ? Do they think steer clear because these other roles are one step ahead of theirs in the process for instance and therefore they would rather chase someone else?
    ______________________
    Don't get mad...get even...

  2. #2

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Brexitville
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Because they have another 200 candidates with 0 interviews who are immediately available, and therefore would be an easier & faster sell to the client.

    Or, the job is fake.

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sira View Post
    Because they have another 200 candidates with 0 interviews who are immediately available, and therefore would be an easier & faster sell to the client.

    Or, the job is fake.
    But I would still be available immediately if required even if there is another interview pending.
    ______________________
    Don't get mad...get even...

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    But I would still be available immediately if required even if there is another interview pending.
    Don't bother giving anyone a reason not to call you? No point in second guessing the unguessable.

    'No, I have no interviews lined up. I've only just started looking.' And from that, they can't second guess anything.

  5. #5

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    But I would still be available immediately if required even if there is another interview pending.
    I always say "no, I've only just started looking" irrespective of whether that's true or not.

    Can't confirm if it makes any difference to getting an interview but it does stop them quizzing me about how I'm finding the market (i.e. trying to pump me for info about who's hiring)

  6. #6

    Fingers like lightning

    Andy Hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    939

    Default

    A half decent recruiter would ask where those interviews are and steal in on the job.

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    27,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    If recruiters contacting me about a suitable role ask if I have any other interviews lined up, I have noticed that if I say yes I do, I don't always hear from them afterwards.

    What is the thought process behind this ? Do they think steer clear because these other roles are one step ahead of theirs in the process for instance and therefore they would rather chase someone else?
    You've answered your own question. Say no, as they may be limited to 2 or 3 CVs for submission. Once you're landed the gig, then suddenly you do have other irons in the fire (to mitigate against lowballing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  8. #8

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,930

    Default

    You always have to say yes, but nothing in an advanced stage that will take me off the market yet. Even if you don't have anything lined up or a contract is imminent. They lie, you lie it's as simple as that.
    If you say yes, it means you're sought after and they're willing to go the extra mile for you, well at least some of them.

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    You always have to say yes, but nothing in an advanced stage that will take me off the market yet. Even if you don't have anything lined up or a contract is imminent. They lie, you lie it's as simple as that.
    If you say yes, it means you're sought after and they're willing to go the extra mile for you, well at least some of them.
    Have to? Why?

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    A half decent recruiter would ask where those interviews are and steal in on the job.
    My point exactly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •