• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract until EOY, handed in notice last week, now rate reductions starting nxt week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract until EOY, handed in notice last week, now rate reductions starting nxt week

I have a contract until end of year. I handed in my notice this week, but now there are rate reductions that should start from next week going forward. I will continue to work until the end of the contract with the client.

It is a large company so reduction applies to all contractors. As I need to sign a contract amendment for this rate reduction, can I decline it?

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    I have a contract until end of year. I handed in my notice this week, but now there are rate reductions that should start from next week going forward. I will continue to work until the end of the contract with the client.

It is a large company so reduction applies to all contractors. As I need to sign a contract amendment for this rate reduction, can I decline it?
    You could but it is not going to help you in anyway. If I may ask, why did you hand in the notice when the market is not that great?

Comment

If you want to leave immediately then don't sign the reduced rate contract and chances are you will be terminated on the day the lower rate starts.

Otherwise is you want to continue working until the day you were planning to leave sign the contract and make sure your departure date is clearly specified where appropriate.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Of course you can decline it.
        You might not get a better offer though so think carefully.

You could also try and make them stick to the old rate. But they are likely to have covered all the relevant notice periods if they're large.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Of course you can decline it.
          You might not get a better offer though so think carefully.

You could also try and make them stick to the old rate. But they are likely to have covered all the relevant notice periods if they're large.
          If the market is crap, accept the reduction in rate, and start looking. If you find something better, dump the ****ers.

Comment

Must admit, I failed to understand any of this.

Is it;

I HAD a contract until the end of the year but, DUE to imminently enforced rate reductions, I HAVE handed my notice in this week.

Since the ONLY way to continue until the end of the year is if I sign a rate reduction, can I decline it?

To which the answer seems to be;

Yes, you can decline it. But then you will be terminated swiftly afterwards. Bearing in mind there are people who have been looking for work for the last six months, I'd say, suck it up, sign the amendment and continue to year end. And just to prove to yourself you did the right thing, start looking for a new contract now and if you get anything to Start before year end, you might have a case for declining the amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

Is it;

I HAD a contract until the end of the year but, DUE to imminently enforced rate reductions, I HAVE handed my notice in this week.

Since the ONLY way to continue until the end of the year is if I sign a rate reduction, can I decline it?

Yes, you can decline it. But then you will be terminated swiftly afterwards. Bearing in mind there are people who have been looking for work for the last six months, I'd say, suck it up, sign the amendment and continue to year end. And just to prove to yourself you did the right thing, start looking for a new contract now and if you get anything to Start before year end, you might have a case for declining the amendment.
              Exactly, why cant people write in a plain language that a 5 year old can understand?

Comment

You can definitely decline it. You're within your right to keep working under the terms of the existing contract. They are also within their right to not offer you any work and just let your contract expire without offering you any more days.

How big is the reduction? if it's less than 25% just suck it up. Any more than that and it really depends on your finances, how much you enjoy or hate the work, and if you have anything else you can do instead.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

Is it;

To clear this up a bit. I handed in notice already, and for a different reason. I am confident at the end of this contract I will be able to find a new contract, and worst case scenario I am off for a month that is okay too.

So, these are planned rate reductions, so I guess I will have to just go along with it.

Comment

To clear this up a bit. I handed in notice already, and for a different reason. I am confident at the end of this contract I will be able to find a new contract, and worst case scenario I am off for a month that is okay too.

So, these are planned rate reductions, so I guess I will have to just go along with it.
                    Well, the word on the street is that the contract market is undergoing a few changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X