• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requesting Changes to notice periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Have regular chuckles at ClientCo about how a Senior Director is just a low level manager and a VP is a bit further up the food chain.

EDIT: this is not in Finance but is a US-owned company
    Job titles are weird for US firms. Quite often I come across Hedge Funds & Private Equity firms and their job title for a senior hire (10yrs exp.) is "X Analyst", whereas other firms would call the same role VP, SVP, Manager or Director. Whether job titles matter is debateable, depends on the hiring manager I suppose.

Come to think of it when I worked as a junior for a European Investment Bank some years ago, my job title was AVP. And I thought, this seems a little odd.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
      Job titles are weird for US firms. Quite often I come across Hedge Funds & Private Equity firms and their job title for a senior hire (10yrs exp.) is "X Analyst", whereas other firms would call the same role VP, SVP, Manager or Director. Whether job titles matter is debateable, depends on the hiring manager I suppose.

Come to think of it when I worked as a junior for a European Investment Bank some years ago, my job title was AVP. And I thought, this seems a little odd.
      AVP was a great film!

Comment

AVP was a great film!

So was Cowboys vs Aliens once you ignore the sheer stupidity of the idea.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My thinking here is if you get 3 months, and they get rid of you say at 1 week notice, then you can at least reclaim the money back via breach of contract?

Is 1 month notice really an IR35 issue for a 6 month gig? 1 month isn't really that long tbh.

Edit - to clarify I think there may be a chance of success with the FTC but not so much with the outside ir35 gig.
          Ah.. in that case you'd be wrong. They can get rid of you quite legally without breach. So your exercise is pointless.

Very unlikely they will change notice periods on FTCs. Being a job it's not as flexible as a contract.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Some people I worked with at the last gig were given notice 6 months into the 18 month FTC.

18 month gig, 1 month symmetrical notice, via large employment agency.

6 months in a few were canned...
            Some had been extended beyond the initial 18 months...
            1 left of his own accord (with 1 month notice) midway through...

So XXmo FTC is just a number.. don't read too much into it! ask for what you want and know what you will take... as with any negotiation.

M

Comment

Have regular chuckles at ClientCo about how a Senior Director is just a low level manager and a VP is a bit further up the food chain.

EDIT: this is not in Finance but is a US-owned company
              Yeah i had an interview at paypal once and they had a senior director who had no direct reports. I always thought that was weird.. what exactly were they directing? Themselves i guess?

I know in advertising everyone is a director as well.

And yeah a vp in finance is completely meaningless. İt's just given as part of an annual review without any change in role or responsibility.

Comment

My thinking here is if you get 3 months, and they get rid of you say at 1 week notice, then you can at least reclaim the money back via breach of contract?

Is 1 month notice really an IR35 issue for a 6 month gig? 1 month isn't really that long tbh.

Edit - to clarify I think there may be a chance of success with the FTC but not so much with the outside ir35 gig.

Comment

Working...
                X