• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone in a good mood nowadays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    That's my morning walk, and also my view from my home office - this one taken on Wednesday from my desk.

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
      I'm working until December. Then, who knows? I picked up this role back in May so there is hope.

Otherwise it's tempting to decamp somewhere sunny and wait out the miserable UK covid winter. If you can leave the country and if you can find somewhere that will let you in.

I guess there's always Mogadishu
      I lightheartedly mentioned a three month decamp to HWMBO. He wasn't impressed.

Having kids is worse than having a pet

I may yet abandon him

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I lightheartedly mentioned a three month decamp to HWMBO. He wasn't impressed.

Having kids is worse than having a pet

I may yet abandon him
        If it was summer, you could just leave him locked in the car on a hot day without any water.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Dying a death here.

Not anywhere close enough to retirement but have no entrepreneurial spirit left to start something new at this age. Current contract is winding down fast with end in sight by Dec. Have been applying for other roles but not getting a bite.

Have become a dinosaur in my 40s.

"There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" : I have investments that I can live off but that would be depressing.

Government taxing me to the hilt if I do manage to get back into PAYE work so that would be ultra-depressing.

UK is sh1t.

I feel like I've achieved nothing.

Apart from that, everything is great.
          I find it incredibly frustrating that all the times I have got up in the middle of the night to be at my desk at 0900 on a Monday in another part of the country or carried a project over the line seem to have counted for nothing.

In your case December is a long way away though. If a vaccine is near things could start to pick up.

Comment

Even if you had to quarantine in the South of Spain it wouldn't be too bad with a bit of outdoor space. Plenty of cheap rentals.
            Our kid tells me it gets colder in Southern Spain in winter than it does in the North West of England.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
              Our kid tells me it gets colder in Southern Spain in winter than it does in the North West of England.
              Not by the sea it doesn't. I've sat at a beach bar on Christmas Eve in Salobreña and it's been 20. 16 / 17 is a more realistic average maximum. Feels lovely in the sunshine.

Salobrena climate: Average Temperature, weather by month, Salobrena water temperature - Climate-Data.org

Comment

Not by the sea it doesn't. I've sat at a beach bar on Christmas Eve in Salobreña and it's been 20. 16 / 17 is a more realistic average maximum. Feels lovely in the sunshine.

Salobrena climate: Average Temperature, weather by month, Salobrena water temperature - Climate-Data.org
                All's generally good unless the Gota Fria hits. At which point you'd have been better off staying in Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Get a BBL and live in the sun for a year

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  Good idea. If there is much sun in the nick

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                    All's generally good unless the Gota Fria hits. At which point you'd have been better off staying in Manchester
                    As long as you don't camp overnight in your camper van in a dry river bed, you'll be OK. The link you posted was about late summer and autumn, so shouldn't be a bother in winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X