• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone in a good mood nowadays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I don't live in the UK. I'm quite happy.
    Is it Sunny out there? The temperature in the UK suddenly dropped and it's tooo cold.

Comment

I am doing OK. Not panicking even though 2020 billing was only couple of months and I realised that I can easily survive with out any struggle even if I work only for4-6 months a year. A very important lesson I have learned.

Also thinking around a business plan to generate revenue through a website similar to rated people. Domain is ready but just working on how to differentiate it so that it doesn't become a copy cat.
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 25 September 2020, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
        Is it Sunny out there? The temperature in the UK suddenly dropped and it's tooo cold.
        It's cold here in Ireland but a beautiful morning. Phone photo from my morning walk:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It's cold here in Ireland but a beautiful morning. Phone photo from my morning walk:
          Hows contracting market in Ireland?
          Last edited by GitMaster69; 25 September 2020, 08:24.

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
            Hows contracting market in Ireland?
            Holding up better than the UK sounds like it is. Lots of work is remote based for the foreseeable future so could be done from UK.

What's your skillset / industry niche?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Holding up better than the UK sounds like it is. Lots of work is remote based for the foreseeable future so could be done from UK.

What's your skillset / industry niche?
              .net react angular.
              I'll find something I'm sure, I always do. It's just rates gone down too which pisses me off. Working from home 24/7 also takes it's toll.
              To keep on working during pandemic I had to take 30% paycut, was hoping can climb back this time around but no , rates are still tulip
              Last edited by GitMaster69; 25 September 2020, 08:39.

Comment

Dying a death here.

Not anywhere close enough to retirement but have no entrepreneurial spirit left to start something new at this age. Current contract is winding down fast with end in sight by Dec. Have been applying for other roles but not getting a bite.

Have become a dinosaur in my 40s.

"There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" : I have investments that I can live off but that would be depressing.

Government taxing me to the hilt if I do manage to get back into PAYE work so that would be ultra-depressing.

UK is sh1t.

I feel like I've achieved nothing.

Apart from that, everything is great.

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
                  .net react angular.
                  I'll find something I'm sure, I always do. It's just rates gone down too which pisses me off. Working from home 24/7 also takes it's toll.
                  To keep on working during pandemic I had to take 30% paycut, was hoping can climb back this time around but no , rates are still tulip
                  If you're interested, most contracts are on LinkedIn with a few not on LinkedIn on irishjobs.ie

It's worth making contact with agencies directly. Ireland being a small country, crappy agencies with crappy practice don't tend to prosper. And building personal relationships counts a bit more. The list below has a pretty decent bunch of agencies who have most of the market I would guess:

CPL
                  Archer
                  Brightwater
                  IT Search and Selection
                  Morgan McKinley

Comment

Doing fine, thanks for asking.

Decided to retire (i'm 63) and am now doing a few gardening jobs around our village, playing golf and not missing the 06.48 to Victoria one bit.

Tough times out there, I wish you all the very best

Herts.
                    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Dying a death here.

Not anywhere close enough to retirement but have no entrepreneurial spirit left to start something new at this age. Current contract is winding down fast with end in sight by Dec. Have been applying for other roles but not getting a bite.

Have become a dinosaur in my 40s.

"There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" : I have investments that I can live off but that would be depressing.

Government taxing me to the hilt if I do manage to get back into PAYE work so that would be ultra-depressing.

UK is sh1t.

I feel like I've achieved nothing.

Apart from that, everything is great.
                      Same here, especially as all my mates have started contracting way before me and already earned enough to settle comfortably outside the UK.

Yes, apart from depression slowly settling in, all is fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X