• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job Support Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Support Scheme

So, finally today some support that limited company directors might actually be entitled to, after all this time.

One third of two thirds of your salary, assuming you're working one third of your full time hours, which for a £732 salary is £976 over the six months the scheme is due to run.

A bit pitiful compared with what many have been getting over the last six months, but better than nothing I suppose.

Anyone planning on claiming it?

If I qualify then yes.

Comment

I'd be interested as well. Not sure how we could qualify because we'd supposedly be working 1/3rd of the time?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
        So, finally today some support that limited company directors might actually be entitled to, after all this time.

One third of two thirds of your salary, assuming you're working one third of your full time hours, which for a £732 salary is £976 over the six months the scheme is due to run.

A bit pitiful compared with what many have been getting over the last six months, but better than nothing I suppose.

Anyone planning on claiming it?
        I just look at how it works, and it looks very pitiful. From the gov:
        Hours Employee Worked 33% 40% 50% 60% 70%
        Hours Employee Not Working 67% 60% 50% 40% 30%
        Employee Earnings (% of normal) 78% 80% 83% 87% 90%
        Gov’t Grant (% of normal wages) 22% 20% 17% 13% 10%
        Employer Cost (% normal wages) 55% 60% 67% 73% 80%

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Factsheet.pdf

So how it works for us
        So let's take a typical contrator PAYE salary at £792/month.
        - Get the scheme with 33% of the time worked. So get £261/month from LTD
        - Then for the hours not worked, the amount is up to £530 for which the gov pay 1/3 (£175) and your LTD pay 2/3 (£355).

So you end up with the LTD paying 78% of the wage £616 and the gov 22% at £175.

Really a small amount for the effort. Not sure that would prevent job being lost. In this scheme, people may work 1/3 of the time but the employer still has to pay 78% of the wage... and not NI deduction.

The amount is so low that not sure I'll take it, I'll ask them if that's something directors like us can get first. So that we don't get penalised for getting this tiny amount of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
          I just look at how it works, and it looks very pitiful. From the gov:
          Hours Employee Worked 33% 40% 50% 60% 70%
          Hours Employee Not Working 67% 60% 50% 40% 30%
          Employee Earnings (% of normal) 78% 80% 83% 87% 90%
          Gov’t Grant (% of normal wages) 22% 20% 17% 13% 10%
          Employer Cost (% normal wages) 55% 60% 67% 73% 80%

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Factsheet.pdf

So how it works for us
          - Then for the hours not worked, the amount is up to £530 for which the gov pay 1/3 (£175) and your LTD pay 2/3 (£355).

So you end up with the LTD paying 78% of the wage £616 and the gov 22% at £175.

Really a small amount for the effort. Not sure that would prevent job being lost. In this scheme, people may work 1/3 of the time but the employer still has to pay 78% of the wage... and not NI deduction.

The amount is so low that not sure I'll take it, I'll ask them if that's something directors like us can get first. So that we don't get penalised for getting this tiny amount of cash.
          You've got your figures wrong.

So how it works for us

So you end up with the LTD paying 78% of the wage £616 and the gov 22% at £175

You are correct about getting the £261 (1/3) from the limited as that is what you worked. (You could have worked more than 1/3 of the time in that case the figures differ but the proportiosn stay the same - the scheme only covers 66% of the wages unpaid)

The remaining 2/3rds is where you have it wrong...

The first 33% of the unpaid 2/3rds is paid by the limited
          The second 33% of the unpaid 2/3rds is paid by HMRC
          The last 33% fo the unpaid 2/3rds is incurred by the employee in lost wages

So in this case the LTD pays 55%, HMRC 22% and the employee loses 22%

The wording of guidance on the HMRC website specifically says "we expect employers not to make this up to 100% out of their own funds" which is different to the CJRS where they encouraged employers to make it up to the 100% but did not force them

Comment

It's a bag of tulipe isn't it? Really not worth bothering with. I can't see how this will prevent any firm from making the redundancies they were already planning on.

Comment

I only took a quick glance at the figures, so excuse the dumb question, but am I seeing it correctly that the gov max grant is 22%?

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
                The wording of guidance on the HMRC website specifically says "we expect employers not to make this up to 100% out of their own funds" which is different to the CJRS where they encouraged employers to make it up to the 100% but did not force them
                Oh. That makes it even less worth bothering with then. You've have to use the scheme for four months only then ramp up the salary in March to bring the average back up to £732 or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  I only took a quick glance at the figures, so excuse the dumb question, but am I seeing it correctly that the gov max grant is 22%?
                  Yes, one third of the two thirds you're not working, so 22.22 recurring percent.

Comment

Could you not have taken advantage of the original furlough scheme?

It's hard to see how this new scheme is going to help many companies, who will effectively be paying over 150% of normal wages for the same hours if they take it up - presumably at a time when money is tight. Who is it actually for? No company with unskilled staff will pay for three people to work 33% of the time and pay out 55% salary for each, when they could just sack two and pay one full time - why would they? The only companies I can imagine using it are those with highly skilled staff that they don't want to lose, who anticipate a relatively swift return to better times and want to be able to hit the ground running without rehiring.

Comment

Working...
                    X