• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants work done that falls outside of my current contract (IR35 implications)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    I don't know. Larger consultancy companies do work outside of their original statement of work all the time without sending a new statement of work. You can ask them in an email if they can also do x, y, z, they send an email back saying yes that will take an additional 1 day we can do it next friday if you'd like, you send an email back saying okay I approve it can you please do it. They do it and send an invoice.

I don't really understand why operating the same way as other b2b relationships do would put you under scope of ir35 but i am not a lawyer or accountant.
    Sometimes they might. Or sometimes they might charge £30k for an impact assessment just to decide if they’ll do it or not.. depends on the work and the framework.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      That's still a formal exchange. They may have something in the contract that allows them to accept as hoc requests.

I'd say a request to do a one day task is significantly different to a small project that will take a few weeks. I doubt any consultancy would accept that on the back of an email.
      That depends on how agile the project is. The last large consultancy one I worked on the sale of was literally we will supply 6 staff for 6 months to create a new xyz system - we spent longer trying to avoid triggering budget meetings at the client than anything else (full project budget was approvable but the timelines didn't work).

And it's why everything I sell is based on packages of time to build or enhance an MVP.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Sometimes they might. Or sometimes they might charge £30k for an impact assessment just to decide if they’ll do it or not.. depends on the work and the framework.
        The most important thing in sales - charge for writing the proposal /MVP. It removes the tyre kickers quickly.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          I don't know. Larger consultancy companies do work outside of their original statement of work all the time without sending a new statement of work. You can ask them in an email if they can also do x, y, z, they send an email back saying yes that will take an additional 1 day we can do it next friday if you'd like, you send an email back saying okay I approve it can you please do it. They do it and send an invoice.

I don't really understand why operating the same way as other b2b relationships do would put you under scope of ir35 but i am not a lawyer or accountant.
          But we don't work the same as large organisations. You don't need to be a lawyer or an accountant to apply some common sense.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X