• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest - how to get a better return despite low interest rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Chest - how to get a better return despite low interest rates?

So most contractors operating a LTD company keep a large chunk of funds in the bank for lots of different reasons.

You get to a point where swapping accounts for miserable rates becomes just too tedious and hardly worth the effort when you think about the application forms, security questions and access info to remember.

My main point is that surely they has to be a better way of putting such reserves to work for better returns and very low risks.

Putting pension and share dealing aside, what are people doing?. I am sure there are a few Del boy's on here

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    So most contractors operating a LTD company keep a large chunk of funds in the bank for lots of different reasons.

You get to a point where swapping accounts for miserable rates becomes just too tedious and hardly worth the effort when you think about the application forms, security questions and access info to remember.

My main point is that surely they has to be a better way of putting such reserves to work for better returns and very low risks.

Putting pension and share dealing aside, what are people doing?. I am sure there are a few Del boy's on here
    Pile upto 50 grand into pre bonds. Yes, they're reducing the chances of any one bond winning from roughly 24,000 to 1 to around 34,000 to 1 but if you win 100 grand or the million, your cares will be pretty much over.

Comment

Easy, I’ve got a good few K on Sir Busker in the 3.35 at Newmarket this afternoon to be placed (in the 1st 8 places) those winnings will keep me in milk and honey for several months

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
        Pile upto 50 grand into pre bonds. Yes, they're reducing the chances of any one bond winning from roughly 24,000 to 1 to around 34,000 to 1 but if you win 100 grand or the million, your cares will be pretty much over.
        Companies can't invest in premium bonds, can they? Thought it was only individuals.

Comment

You could invest in a bond fund.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hopeless advice regarding Premium Bonds as the T&Cs specifically exclude investments on behalf of others, even if you have a Deed of Trust (here be dragons anyway).

The main problem with investing a significant fraction of company funds is that your company risks being classified as a CIHC which, among other things, means no tax efficient capital distributions on closure via MVL.

Personal investments are generally more tax efficient because they benefit from your annual CGT allowance.

There isn’t much you can do. You may be able to loan money to another company you own, but there are no hassle/risk-free options.

Comment

Not sure I'd ever want to invest company £ into shares.

Property is one thing that can be invested in. As with all things, you need to structure the companies properly and get a good accountant involved. Set up a Property company and loan funds into it from the IT company. You can buy the investment property with a mortgage or without one if you have sufficient funds. Put said property on rent and use the profits to repay the loan (or don't repay the loan, whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                Companies can't invest in premium bonds, can they? Thought it was only individuals.
                Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Hopeless advice regarding Premium Bonds as the T&Cs specifically exclude investments on behalf of others, even if you have a Deed of Trust (here be dragons anyway).

The main problem with investing a significant fraction of company funds is that your company risks being classified as a CIHC which, among other things, means no tax efficient capital distributions on closure via MVL.

Personal investments are generally more tax efficient because they benefit from your annual CGT allowance.

There isn’t much you can do. You may be able to loan money to another company you own, but there are no hassle/risk-free options.
                The thread's about war chests. Companies dont have war chests, individuals do.

Comment

Property and REIT's (if you have access to those)
                  Some private investments in private companies (high risk)
                  Maybe worth having a look at classic cars and art (you need to know your stuff)

Some of the absolute dross and scams that I have seen in my time in private investment:
                  Investing in training shoes
                  Investing in cemetries
                  Nigerian princes
                  And many more..
                  I receive at 2 pieces of crap a week like this.
                  I receive about 20 invitations a week to invest in private businesses - lots of these are crap too!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                    Property and REIT's (if you have access to those)
                    Some private investments in private companies (high risk)
                    Maybe worth having a look at classic cars and art (you need to know your stuff)

Some of the absolute dross and scams that I have seen in my time in private investment:
                    Investing in training shoes
                    Investing in cemetries
                    Nigerian princes
                    And many more..
                    I receive at 2 pieces of crap a week like this.
                    I receive about 20 invitations a week to invest in private businesses - lots of these are crap too!
                    Cemetaries?? I guess there will always be dead people needing burying.

Comment

Working...
                    X