• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest - how to get a better return despite low interest rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Companies can't invest in premium bonds, can they? Thought it was only individuals.
    Just look who's posted it. That should tell you all you need to know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
      The thread's about war chests. Companies dont have war chests, individuals do.
      See what I mean....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

apart from bonds which are supposedly less risky nobody can predict how it will go moving forward. if a depression would be to set in I'd say most of the assets are already overpriced.

for now probably the best advice is to spend less, a pound not spent (that you don't have to pay yourself out of the company) saves you at least 7% or up to 50%. don't have any high interest rate debt.

invest in yourself, training, business network, culture etc. whatever floats your boat

invest in plan B, C, D or a field where you would build up knowledge over time and be able to get a better return

realise the futility of possessions in the irreversible passage of time and that our attachment to them could derive from our deeply ingrained fear of death. spend more time with yourself and do more mindful introspections, see what actually drives you and brings you pleasure. 100k and complete freedom could make you 10x happier than 100mil and all your future life pawned at the wrong altar

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          apart from bonds which are supposedly less risky nobody can predict how it will go moving forward. if a depression would be to set in I'd say most of the assets are already overpriced.

for now probably the best advice is to spend less, a pound not spent (that you don't have to pay yourself out of the company) saves you at least 7% or up to 50%. don't have any high interest rate debt.

invest in yourself, training, business network, culture etc. whatever floats your boat

invest in plan B, C, D or a field where you would build up knowledge over time and be able to get a better return

realise the futility of possessions in the irreversible passage of time and that our attachment to them could derive from our deeply ingrained fear of death. spend more time with yourself and do more mindful introspections, see what actually drives you and brings you pleasure. 100k and complete freedom could make you 10x happier than 100mil and all your future life pawned at the wrong altar
          Crikey, you were feeling a bit deep and meaningful at 2 am!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Crikey, you were feeling a bit deep and meaningful at 2 am!
            It's accurate though - I'm not sure where is a sensible place to put my personal investments.

As for the warchest that's easy however plan b was setting up a consultancy and then working out how to package things up in ways that are easy for people to sell. And I think I've finally managed to do just that.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The thread's about war chests. Companies dont have war chests, individuals do.
              Rubbish....
              War chest is about not having to work for extended periods.
              £100k in the company is worth c. £130k in the hand (caveats are pubs individual circumstances apply).
              No point taking all the money out the company at higher rate tax to then find you’re on the bench and could have been extracting it at normal rate.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Rubbish....
                £100k in the company is worth c. £130k in the hand (caveats are pubs individual circumstances apply).
                No point taking all the money out the company at higher rate tax to then find you’re on the bench and could have been extracting it at normal rate.
                I wouldn't say it's about not having to work for extended periods - it's more it gives you the ability to not have to worry about finding work as money is there to see you through a time when the work may not be available (i.e. times like now).

And it does allow you to control when you personally receive the money to reduce the tax you personally pay on that income.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Rubbish....
                  You dont half talk some crap with your absolute definitions.

Comment

You dont half talk some crap with your absolute definitions.
                    FOG.

Comment

Going for the miserable 1% here
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X