• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Chest - how to get a better return despite low interest rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Crikey, you were feeling a bit deep and meaningful at 2 am!
    I have about 2 weeks sober now, not sure if I like this meaningful me though.
    Writting hateful posts about he corporate clout and gov while half drunk seemed more fulfilling though...

Just an idea, diversification is still considered “one of the free lunches” by some. I would not touch a long portfolio but a not so large sum in an all short diversified portfolio. This I think I could be comfortable with for now. It doesn’t take too much work also, there are a few packages in python for efficiant portfolio optimization. Market return data is available.
    Finding the most over-laveraged companies and putting together a few.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      Writting hateful posts about he corporate clout and gov while half drunk seemed more fulfilling though...

Just an idea, diversification is still considered “one of the free lunches” by some. I would not touch a long portfolio but a not so large sum in an all short diversified portfolio. This I think I could be comfortable with for now. It doesn’t take too much work also, there are a few packages in python for efficiant portfolio optimization. Market return data is available.
      And in English, this means?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        And in English, this means?
        The effects of alcohol take > 2 weeks to reverse?
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Well done on the sobriety!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
            You dont half talk some crap with your absolute definitions.
            You were the idiot with the absolute definition.....
            “War chest is personal not company”...
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

RateSetter

Until Covid hit RateSetter was unbeatable for interest rates, a degree of risk attached but up to 5% return.

Even they RS have had to reduce interest rates (halved) recently but still better than anything else around at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Easy, I’ve got a good few K on Sir Busker in the 3.35 at Newmarket this afternoon to be placed (in the 1st 8 places) those winnings will keep me in milk and honey for several months

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Pooper has a chart for that.

Comment

Spending too much time at home watching morning property programs has giving me an Idea for plan B which is to buy 3 bed properties and have them converted to 4/5 bed for sale, then hopefully move on to teardown & rebuilds.

Plan B dreams aside ......, what about opening a separate company B funded via a structured loan from ltd company. Then invest that money in funds?

Comment

Working...
                  X