• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project manager - RE-TRAINING but in what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps controversial but there is nothing so snake oil in the modern development landscape as agile, scrum and the absolute BS that goes with it.

From experience, those that have moved over to being scrum masters are those who really couldn't cut it as developers, architects and engineers in general.

People who have jumped onto the scrum master bandwagon appeals so well to the British obsession of inserting yet another layer of bottom feeders into any process who add very little value.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      Perhaps controversial but there is nothing so snake oil in the modern development landscape as agile, scrum and the absolute BS that goes with it.

From experience, those that have moved over to being scrum masters are those who really couldn't cut it as developers, architects and engineers in general.

People who have jumped onto the scrum master bandwagon appeals so well to the British obsession of inserting yet another layer of bottom feeders into any process who add very little value.
      I'd not say that is controversial. It is actually a very common opinion from those that have little-to-no experience/understanding of the framework, where their only experience is where it has been badly implemented, or where they simply do not have the flexibility or skills necessary to switch away from their existing way of thinking/working.

For many, having a PM telling them what to do, and who they can blame lack of delivery on, is much simpler/easier. And traditional waterfall methodologies will work better for many clients too - typically those that think they can tell their team to "do agile" and that alone will deliver something faster/cheaper.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 10 November 2020, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

Perfect. Well said!

Comment

And let’s not talk about Architects tell everyone the blooming obvious after a 5 day workshop

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            And let’s not talk about Architects tell everyone the blooming obvious after a 5 day workshop
            To be fair, they are often quite good at drawing boxes.

Now, onto Business Analysts. Do they really add *any* value?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                To be fair, they are often quite good at drawing boxes.

Now, onto Business Analysts. Do they really add *any* value?
                What about an Architect who has a BA background.

I only had to deal with 1 once who argued over a quote for a bit of work so I gave him exactly what he specified and then added 2 weeks to redevelop it into a working solution (it was a 1 week piece of work).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Cloud tech is making their job redundant. One Architect for Infrastructure and One for Data is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    I'd not say that is controversial. It is actually a very common opinion from those that have little-to-no experience/understanding of the framework, where their only experience is where it has been badly implemented, or where they simply do not have the flexibility or skills necessary to switch away from their existing way of thinking/working.

For many, having a PM telling them what to do, and who they can blame lack of delivery on, is much simpler/easier. And traditional waterfall methodologies will work better for many clients too - typically those that think they can tell their team to "do agile" and that alone will deliver something faster/cheaper.
                    THIS!

Usually a customer saying they want to run an Agile project basically just means they want it doing quicker! In my experience the Agile method only works when you have buy in and appetite from all involved... its all well and good pushing the Devs harder but if noone from the business is available to test / answer questions it all becomes rather pointless!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                      Cloud tech is making their job redundant. One Architect for Infrastructure and One for Data is more than enough.
                      So after 25 years it’s gone full circle

When I was an analyst programmer I did the

Architect, BA, PM, product Owner and all testing plus devops

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X