• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working or benched?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's assuming the people who are not working by choice aren't included and have selected 'other' instead.
    Indeed. Either way, it doesn't look very rosy.

Comment

Benched for 6 months, back in contract for the past month.

Comment

Obviously would need to know how many people were out of contract before the crises but 35-40% does sound very high.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          That's assuming the people who are not working by choice aren't included and have selected 'other' instead.
          Why would you be here if you were "not working by choice"?

Are these retired people, lottery winners?

I mean you might be on holiday for a few weeks, but most contractors I know are sweating if their invoice payment is 24 hours late. Those shiny german cars and large homes in the suburbs don't pay for themselves.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            Why would you be here if you were "not working by choice"?

Are these retired people, lottery winners?

I mean you might be on holiday for a few weeks, but most contractors I know are sweating if their invoice payment is 24 hours late. Those shiny german cars and large homes in the suburbs don't pay for themselves.
            Not necessarily retired or lottery winners. They are contractors who have been contracting for many years, mortgage paid off or very little due, kids off to Uni and they are trying to find a balance between living and working.

I don't work by choice for at least 3-4 months a year. Some times they are spread within a whole year, some times they are continuous.

Comment

So looking at the current stats and removing the 'gone perm' and the 'others', we're looking at roughly 1 contractor on the bench to every 2 contractors working.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                So looking at the current stats and removing the 'gone perm' and the 'others', we're looking at roughly 1 contractor on the bench to every 2 contractors working.

So it still seems to be better on average to stay contracting (assuming you take home > 50% more than a permie).

Phew, I was getting worried listening to all the gloom-and-doomers!

Comment

My personal problem with the otherwise sensible 'find a permanent job until this is all over' strategy is it would need to be commutable for me and living outside of a city there aren't too many options around.

Comment

Have been benched for about a year now. Took a perm role in-between but resigned after 1 day.

I consider myself a clever person, adaptable. I've been either through a consultancy or contractor involved with blue chip companies from automotive sector. (powertrain or engine R&D)
                    In two of the places I've been pushed to take the technical lead within 1 year of starting which it was never on my map.
                    Most of the times I've been involved with high level management discussions.

The part that I am struggling with is "corporate culture" and indentured servitude I've seen being expected in most of the places. I can't also imagine spending my next 30 years working to pay bills.
                    I've been raised my military family, I am upfront and direct(depending on context) and believe I have a good nose for nonsense. Which potential employers pick up fairly quickly on me and think I would be difficult to manage.
                    Which is quite true.
                    I've developed also a strong anti-establishment sentiment and believe most of the social constructs that we have are a lie.

Still looking for the right opportunity but at the same time I am comfortable with the idea that if I spend the rest of my life outside of the system just getting by, I would not regret it.

Contracting was a better place for misfits but if this market won't exist in the future I don't think I can see myself as another corporate stooge.

Voted "benched" as there is still some hope in me that I will find the right crowd somewhere...
                    Last edited by GigiBronz; 4 October 2020, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X