• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income Protection - Non Payment of Invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income Protection - Non Payment of Invoice

Dear All,

I'd be grateful if someone could advice of an insurance company that offers contractors income protection if an agency goes bust or doesn't pay up an invoice(s).

I'm about to start a new contract with a USA subcontractor and want to protect my interests.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Look at IPSE+ and in particular their business interruption offering.

Apart from that I don't know a single contractor that's ever had anything like this. Your best protection is doing your diligence and being prepared to turn gigs down that are risky. Credit checking all parties, getting proper contracts signed etc.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 3 October 2020, 01:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanWalker View Post
      Dear All,

I'd be grateful if someone could advice of an insurance company that offers contractors income protection if an agency goes bust or doesn't pay up an invoice(s).

I'm about to start a new contract with a USA subcontractor and want to protect my interests.

Thanks,

Ian
      Income protection is a financial product that exists but it’s not what you’re after. You need I get the terminology right when looking.

IPSE offer some limited cover but in general you cannot get what you’re after. There’s just too much scope for fraudulent claims.

Your best bet is to ensure that the customer values you as a supplier so they pay you on time. If they decide to stop paying you only have your contract to protect you so make sure that’s good, and make sure you have proof of delivery.

Do weekly billing and payment if possible to reduce exposure.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't think you are after income protection which protects your personal income. I believe that you are looking to ensure that your company gets paid?

Comment

Originally posted by IanWalker View Post
          Dear All,

Thanks,

Ian
          What payment terms are you on ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            What payment terms are you on ?
            50/50 by the sound of it
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X