• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview apparel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suited & booted for interviews, always, unless specifically told otherwise.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Bollocks. You're trying to impress old weirdos, remember...

FWIW I haven't worn a tie to work for at least ten years - apart from interviews and initial client meetings.
      Not these days when the bosses are under 30 and have shorts and nipple rings and flip flops

Turn up with a suit on, and get shown the door

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Full suit, no tie, same as I do for interviews.

I also wear shoes else it feels weird otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
          This suit and/or tie stuff is for old weirdos man, you are all mental.
          Utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Not these days when the bosses are under 30 and have shorts and nipple rings and flip flops

Turn up with a suit on, and get shown the door

This literally only happens in tech companies (not all of them) and maybe a couple other industries like advertising. So yeah I can see how someone who has exclusively worked in those might think that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              This literally only happens in tech companies (not all of them) and maybe a couple other industries like advertising. So yeah I can see how someone who has exclusively worked in those might think that is the case.
              Last year I went for an interview at Wells Fargo bank in London, I rushed from my role at Lloyd’s had the suit on and polished shoes, but forgot to put my tie on, 3 chaps sit down all suited and booted, everyone in company had a tie on, the agent called me later and asked where my tie was from feedback

Fast forward a year, I turn up at fintech suited and booted at 1 Canada square, founder meets me in a pair of shorts, CIO has a Star Wars t-shirt, they ask me if I allways dress like a banker

Comment

Fintech is totally different to banking.

It's about doing your research of the company and its culture.

In an interview scenario I actually think it's easier for women. A simple, well fitting, dress can look smart as well as look casual.

I would always expect to look smart for an interview.

Comment

Formal dinner suit jacket, bow tie and dickie board shirt front but no trousers. Just like the BBC News readers did in the 20's or 30's.

Comment

Current gig is WFH and so for the interview I wore a blue shirt no tie. I did think about this as everybody had just gone into lockdown a few weeks previously. I asked a friend who was WFH what meetings were like, he said that his PO was wearing a ManU shirt, so wearing a tie inside my own home seemed a bit overkill. Instead I thought about what they could see from the screen, so shaved, moved the ironing board from behind me and took down the iron maiden poster.

I don't like the faux casualness of not wearing a tie with a jacket but I suppose it's about appearing similar to the people who are interviewing you.

Comment

Suit and tie is still just about default for physical interviews but it certainly isn't universal anymore. I have never put a tie on for a video interview as it would be vaguely ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                      X