• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview apparel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I wore a suit to an interview was around 10 years ago. Smart casual has been the default of late.

As for video interviews where the interviewers are themselves at home, a polo shirt. I tend towards trying to mirror rather than upstage or be woefully below standard.

Seemed to have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Last time I wore a suit to an interview was around 10 years ago. Smart casual has been the default of late.

As for video interviews where the interviewers are themselves at home, a polo shirt. I tend towards trying to mirror rather than upstage or be woefully below standard.

Seemed to have worked.
      TBF people should check. I certainly ask the agent with regards to video interviews.

I had a stint at a digital media agency a few years back and a UI Consultant was asked to go to a client meeting (a car manufacturer) at their offices. They asked if he could wear a shirt and tie and he pointed out he literally didn't own one. If you turned up for an interview there wearing a suit it would count against you unless you could pull off it being an ironic gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        TBF people should check. I certainly ask the agent with regards to video interviews.

I had a stint at a digital media agency a few years back and a UI Consultant was asked to go to a client meeting (a car manufacturer) at their offices. They asked if he could wear a shirt and tie and he pointed out he literally didn't own one. If you turned up for an interview there wearing a suit it would count against you unless you could pull off it being an ironic gesture.
        Yeah that is one of those industries where people show up and look like they haven't showered or washed their clothes in weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Yeah that is one of those industries where people show up and look like they haven't showered or washed their clothes in weeks.
          The trick is to spend ages putting together a look that makes it look like you threw it on after you got out of bed.

Comment

Shirt and tie for me within finance.

I've had 2 video interviews over lockdown. First one i was told was a video skype interview. So shirt and tie. Which did feel odd as I just had shorts on with them. Anyway, turns out it was audio only. So sat there feeling ridiculous all dressed up at home (well half dressed up anyway).
            Second one, was told it was a Zoom audio call. So dials in in a scruffy t-shirt. and my heart sinks when i see the 2 interviewers pop up on my screen.
            Moral of the story, agents haven't got a clue and just guess. Next time I think it will be a smart work shirt, regardless of what the agent says!

Comment

I guess it depends on the industry and your experience but I think I have a different mindset if I'm smartly dressed. So even if I were on an audio only interview, I would still be smartly dressed if only to help me become the more professional version of myself.

Comment

I've done all my skype/teams/zoom etc interviews just wit a smart shirt no tie or suit and look most of the times smarter dressed than the interviewer. Oh and I did get two offers

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                  Everyone assuming op is a man..
                  Or you're assuming women won't wear a shirt and tie.

Comment

Sometimes agents haven't got a clue or make it up when they're telling what to wear. Before one face to face interview I was told suit and tie, to get there and find one interviewer in a hawaiin shirt and another wearing a Vans t-shirt and board shorts.
                    Then a few weeks later the same agent gets me an interview and says smart casual to get there and find everyone in suits.
                    Nowadays I ignore what the agent says and for video interviews have bought myself some plain shirts with my Ltd company name and logo on, with no tie. Seems to work - and it's IR35 compliant

Comment

Must admit I find this whole thread really amusing. Surely the whole point is to sell yourself to your best advantage in a competitive situation?

If you think a Def Leppard T-shirt and jeans is appropriate then fine and an untrimmed beard or random designer stubble is also fine, if you don't mind your interviewer thinking if you're too lazy to tidy up what the hell will you be like with a work issue.

What you wear is largely irrelevant. How you wear it is the important bit.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X