• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview apparel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by velcro View Post
    Sometimes agents haven't got a clue or make it up when they're telling what to wear. Before one face to face interview I was told suit and tie, to get there and find one interviewer in a hawaiin shirt and another wearing a Vans t-shirt and board shorts.
    Then a few weeks later the same agent gets me an interview and says smart casual to get there and find everyone in suits.
    Nowadays I ignore what the agent says and for video interviews have bought myself some plain shirts with my Ltd company name and logo on, with no tie. Seems to work - and it's IR35 compliant
    It's many things - blooming stupid would be a my viewpoint

My go to business attire is smart casual - shirt with trousers, Jacket if out and about. There is little point wearing a suit or a tie nowadays.
    Last edited by eek; 5 October 2020, 11:34.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      What you wear is largely irrelevant. How you wear it is the important bit.
      Bloody fashion guru!
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Suited & booted for interviews, always, unless specifically told otherwise.
        Yep.

I had an interview last week and got the job.

None of my interviewers were suited and booted, but I was. It felt right and I didn't regret it - I was the one who needed to impress after all. They need to think how this person will look representing the company in future.

Comment

A tie conveys the message "I care a lot about things that don't matter, and probably not enough about things that do"

True confidence is shown by wearing - and doing - what you want.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Bloody fashion guru!
            Not any more...

And anyway, when the current generation of team leaders grow up in a few more years and start hiring, none of it will matter anyway and candidates will be wearing nappies and rompers!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I guess it depends on the industry and your experience but I think I have a different mindset if I'm smartly dressed. So even if I were on an audio only interview, I would still be smartly dressed if only to help me become the more professional version of myself.
              Surly women just need to decide

Boobs out on display or boobs hidden

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I wore suit and tie at interviews only at the beginning of my career when I was in my 20's. Didn't have anything else to offer so couldn't afford to be scruffy.

The older I get, the less I care about dress code. I just let my work and experience speak for itself. Jeans and shirt is as far as I push it.

Had 1 zoom interview some days ago and I was wearing a blue polo shirt. The only effort I made was to put my hair up in a man bun but just because I look like Charles Manson if I don't. Got invited to a second interview already so I know dress code is no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  I wore suit and tie at interviews only at the beginning of my career when I was in my 20's. Didn't have anything else to offer so couldn't afford to be scruffy.

The older I get, the less I care about dress code. I just let my work and experience speak for itself. Jeans and shirt is as far as I push it.

Had 1 zoom interview some days ago and I was wearing a blue polo shirt. The only effort I made was to put my hair up in a man bun but just because I look like Charles Manson if I don't. Got invited to a second interview already so I know dress code is no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Between beard and long hair I currently can choose from:

- Man bun, which makes me look like a w4nker
                    - Pony tail, which makes me look like a paedo/bulgarian java developer
                    - Untied hair, which makes me look like Charles Manson or Jim Morrison before he died

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      Alternatively, the interviewer wanted to prove to other people that they weren't joking when he told them someone actually turned up for a Zoom interview with a man bun

Comment

Working...
                      X