• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry if this has been asked a million times...

But what's involved in ditching contracting and making my humiliating return back to the land of the brown nosers? Honestly even the thought of it is making me feel nauseous. Especially working for another consultancy. That would be like covering my body full of leaches and mosquitoes and screaming out come get your dinner! Either way, it's the stuff or nightmares for me. The kind where you experience going from uni back to Year 6...

OK. The furlough scheme since has been a wonderful purgatory but with it winding down it'll be all back to savings. Thankfully I have few grand left in my business account to pay a salary. £700 per month isn't exactly living the high life but I could make ends meet by taking up at least partial van residency (Waits for the gasps followed by questions regarding personal hygiene)

I suppose a game plan here might be to take a perm with a 1 week notice period assuming that exists in my sector. It's mostly 4-6 week notice periods even on probation. Assuming < 1 week notice, is dump and run even a feasible strategy whilst keeping my Ltd open?

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    But what's involved in ditching contracting and making my humiliating return back to the land of the brown nosers? Honestly even the thought of it is making me feel nauseous. Especially working for another consultancy. That would be like covering my body full of leaches and mosquitoes and screaming out come get your dinner! Either way, it's the stuff or nightmares for me. The kind where you experience going from uni back to Year 6...

OK. The furlough scheme since has been a wonderful purgatory but with it winding down it'll be all back to savings. Thankfully I have few grand left in my business account to pay a salary. £700 per month isn't exactly living the high life but I could make ends meet by taking up at least partial van residency (Waits for the gasps followed by questions regarding personal hygiene)

I suppose a game plan here might be to take a perm with a 1 week notice period assuming that exists in my sector. It's mostly 4-6 week notice periods even on probation. Assuming < 1 week notice, is dump and run even a feasible strategy whilst keeping my Ltd open?
    Nothing wrong except people are expecting 600 per day and now talking about 70k perm and thats a steep drop especially after tax

Most people are hoping things get better and consultancy rates come back but IR35 might have changed everything now

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Nothing wrong except people are expecting 600 per day and now talking about 70k perm and thats a steep drop especially after tax
      Except £600 per day is only £600 per day if you have a contract, and £70k is only £70k if it's offered.

Either hold off for something that might materialise, or negotiate based on what is offered.

If you've enough in a warchest to turn down work, waiting for better, then do that. If you're not comfortable doing that, then you may need to rethink.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes it has so try using the Google search method for anything you need to know.

(keywords) site:contractoruk.com/forums

And I think you've got a poor attitude to all this. Perm isn't all that bad and it's certainly not humiliating to go back to it. Millions are perm, have great lives and are happy. If you are going to go in to it with that attitude it's not going to work for you.

Chances of getting perm gig with a week's notice? None.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And I think you've got a poor attitude to all this. Perm isn't all that bad and it's certainly not humiliating to go back to it. Millions are perm, have great lives and are happy. If you are going to go in to it with that attitude it's not going to work for you.
          Some people might struggle with the perm ideology and they were just getting by as contractors. If it works for the majority of the population I think it is a bad example.
          Majority of the population are functioning idiots.

Perm life is about control, embracing the ideology and pretending to be happy. It's about being covered in menial talks while pretending to find fulfilment. I often make the comparison of spinning the hamster wheel since a lot of the roles lack purpose and you could even question that what you do serves the world any good. For some it is soul crushing.

But depends a lot on the place where you end up. They say about prison that, that the most destructive part is not being confined. It is being confined with convicts and what solitude and boredom brings out in them...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yes it has so try using the Google search method for anything you need to know.
            A search? What's that...

Ay? You sure you're not on the permanentuk.com forum? Totally forgetting the day rate earnings here, my experience working as a contractor was simply all-round superior than when I was a lowly, worthless permanent slave (there's some troll bait for you, enjoy )

Comment

Struggling to fathom what it is you're asking.

Comment

There are two approaches to going permie.
                1. Recognise you're a small cog and no one cares, and exploit the hell out of the fact that it's really hard to sack anyone. Enjoy your sick leave, paid holidays, training (if you get any), and generally goofing off. It helps if you're very smart and capable and you work in a low achieving company, since you'll get the work you actually need to do within a couple of hours each day, if that. The rest of the time you can enjoy learning how to do the Listener crossword for example.
                2. Only work for a company where you know the directors personally, and have been working with them on and off for a few years, and know that they need you're skills, reward appropriately and they don't treat anyone in the company like drones.

TL;DR - pick where you work. Not all permie jobs are the same.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  1. Recognise you're a small cog and no one cares, and exploit the hell out of the fact that it's really hard to sack anyone. Enjoy your sick leave, paid holidays, training (if you get any), and generally goofing off. It helps if you're very smart and capable and you work in a low achieving company, since you'll get the work you actually need to do within a couple of hours each day, if that. The rest of the time you can enjoy learning how to do the Listener crossword for example.
                  2. Only work for a company where you know the directors personally, and have been working with them on and off for a few years, and know that they need you're skills, reward appropriately and they don't treat anyone in the company like drones.

+1

I've done both contractor and permie jobs and can't say I've found the culture/enjoyment much different. Accept each for what they are - they both have benefits and downsides and what's right for you now might not be right for you next year, or for someone else now.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Agreed.

There are good and bad in permie and contract roles. If you go in with a negative mindset it's a good bet you'll not enjoy it, whether it be perm, a lower-paid contract or whatever.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X