• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract to permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wtfh View Post
    please don't start polluting multiple threads with your rate claims, you were allowed back based on you behaving yourself.
    Finish him!!!!

Do it.. do it.. do it

FOG!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Maybe it’s just me but I want to clarify how many different ways of working exist in the Uk

You have

1) perm with a salary and a notice period of one month or more
      2) outside ir35. The usual and old way of working via ltd with tax optimisation available
      3) FTC which is a contractor with a fixed termination date. Are these quoted as perm salaries like 100k or day rates like 650 a day and do you have to use an umbrella or payroll company of are you part of the employer payroll
      4) inside ir35 which I think means a day rate but no tax optimisation and you have to use an umbrella

Is this the new way of working in large corps in Great Britain these days? Are there any others to be aware of
      If you're using an Umbrella the whole concept of IR35 is irrelevant. You're an employee of the Umbrella. You might be quoted a day rate but really you're being paid a salary - just one that flexes according to how many days you work. You are neither inside nor outside IR35 - it simply doesn't apply.

People use FTC in various contexts. A classic FTC would be directly with the company you're working for; you're paid a salary, possibly other benefits, in exactly the same way as any permanent employee of that company. The only difference is that there's a scheduled end date to your employment. In this case IR35 is also completely irrelevant.

"Inside IR35" had meaning in the old days, when you would operate as a LtdCo and in theory decide on a contract-by-contract basis whether you were inside or outside. It doesn't mean much any more, or won't come April. If you're deemed outside by your client, yippee, operate via a LtdCo and be genuinely outside. If you're deemed inside, they won't engage you via a LtdCo anyway so you'll end up either being employed by the client directly (FTC) or indirectly through an Umbrella - in both these scenarios the whole concept of inside or outside has disappeared as you're an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Now I'm thinking about applying just because I want to see what the permie offer will be at the end of the 3 months (if they offer it, mind you)
        But unfortunately I'll never know what the permie offer would have been as I didn't go past the 1st interview stage.

A bit sad but also glad that I wasn't invited to the 2nd stage: 2 hour portfolio review and on-the-spot task.

Comment

But unfortunately I'll never know what the permie offer would have been as I didn't go past the 1st interview stage.

A bit sad but also glad that I wasn't invited to the 2nd stage: 2 hour portfolio review and on-the-spot task.
          Bad luck bud but you probably dodged a bullet with a company that interviews like that.

Hearing things like that makes me more determined than ever to try and avoid going perm.

I've had a nod from a previous client - they want me back, trying to get the budget. Not holding breath but it's a glimmer of hope in a crap market!
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

I don't just say this because I'm crap at these sort of tasks (hmm, why is it only the people who are crap at these tasks who post on this threads? )

But anybody who can't judge the character of a person by having a chat with them (and that can include a technical chat) shouldn't be hiring.
            Last edited by Antman; 15 October 2020, 14:00. Reason: thought this was the state of the market thread

Comment

Ok, now that I didn't get the contract and won't have anything to do with the company, I can say who the company was: JP Morgan.

Not sure if I dodged the bullet or not as I don't know anyone who ever worked there. I just think the interview process was way too long for a short contract role; and also hire contractors and convert them to permies at the end of the contract is quite cheeky.

Comment

Ok, now that I didn't get the contract and won't have anything to do with the company, I can say who the company was: JP Morgan.

Not sure if I dodged the bullet or not as I don't know anyone who ever worked there. I just think the interview process was way too long for a short contract role; and also hire contractors and convert them to permies at the end of the contract is quite cheeky.
                JP Morgan used to be good, but now they’ve stopped free beer Fridays it isn’t the same. Very relaxed place to work though.

I don’t understand why anyone works for an umbrella (except maybe for a six week job). Isn’t it always better to work for the company directly if you are going to be an employee of someone?

Or do JP Morgan etc. pay you more if you go through an umbrella (not sure why they would)?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                  JP Morgan used to be good, but now they’ve stopped free beer Fridays it isn’t the same. Very relaxed place to work though.

I don’t understand why anyone works for an umbrella (except maybe for a six week job). Isn’t it always better to work for the company directly if you are going to be an employee of someone?

Or do JP Morgan etc. pay you more if you go through an umbrella (not sure why they would)?
                  1) chances are you will earn more under an umbrella rather than PAYE (even after everything is deducted for tax).
                  2) given the extra income you can use Salary sacrifice to put more into your pension
                  3) you should be able to retain the same umbrella across multiple contracts..

1 is actually very important - the one phrase that will scare HR more than an post April 2020 IR35 investigation is an Equal Pay claim....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I started my career on a JPM grad scheme. Worst job of my life. Wouldn't work there even if I was offered 6 figures

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                      I started my career on a JPM grad scheme. Worst job of my life. Wouldn't work there even if I was offered 6 figures
                      Care to explain this area interest me a lot

I know others who went on the Morgan Stanley grad scheme and spent five months in New York for a fully paid classroom training programme. With corp apartment etc. Not bad for a 22 year old.

So what was wrong with jp?

The comment a out free beer at jp must be a joke. Hardly a benefit to get a free beer on a Friday

Comment

Working...
                      X