• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract to permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    I don’t understand your answer. This guy has a 650 a day role for three months inside. He should take it.

Not easy for employer to just fire and rehire. There are associated training costs involved
    I agree. In the quote you referred to I was discussing the perm aspect at the end. For that money in this climate I'd quite happily tell them I'd love to go perm and take it in until they drop the bomb as you say.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depending on your skill set 650 inside seems pretty decent for current market conditions. Who knows what the perm offer will be but just deal with that offer independently.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Depending on your skill set 650 inside seems pretty decent for current market conditions. Who knows what the perm offer will be but just deal with that offer independently.
        It's very good for inside. Bearing in mind we talked about an up lift of 25 to 30% to match the take home of an outside I'd guess that's bang on for what would have been a 500 or so day outside. If the OP is normally around the 450 mark it's possible this is the best paid gig he's had..
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nluk is right to an extent. It’s good at the moment

650 a day London finance used to be the norm with some guys on more. Remember the rbs spreadsheet leak of contractor rates ? Some people were 1200 plus plus

I wonder what those 1200 outside with the uplift would be today . 1500 from a 25% uplift

Comment

Nluk is right to an extent. It’s good at the moment

650 a day London finance used to be the norm with some guys on more. Remember the rbs spreadsheet leak of contractor rates ? Some people were 1200 plus plus

I wonder what those 1200 outside with the uplift would be today . 1500 from a 25% uplift
            That was indeed a funny day hundreds were £2K-£2.5K and everyone asking for a rate rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              That was indeed a funny day hundreds were £2K-£2.5K and everyone asking for a rate rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Curious as to what contractors on £2k plus a day were doing at RBS in those days?

Comment

Probably vba spreadsheet monkey work. No jokes

Some of them doing some mainframe tinkering in cobol

I worked many a year with contractors on 650 a day who were just average ....

All the banks are now inside ir35 and hiring in London is bad
                Last edited by NowPermOutsideUK; 8 October 2020, 07:05.

Comment

Probably vba spreadsheet monkey work. No jokes

Some of them doing some mainframe tinkering in cobol

I worked many a year with contractors on 650 a day who were just average ....

All the banks are now inside ir35 and hiring in London is bad
                  That reminds me of a perm job I once saw probably around late 90s/early 2000s for a VBA 'expert' that was something like £250k salary. Crazy to think so much was spent on, well, so little.

During my consulting days around the same time, I was lined up to take over from a colleague who was working at a major bank on a 'risk management' project. Turns out that was a euphemism for 'creating a simple Access database to manage some project risks.' And the client was being charged well over a grand a day.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You'll get to the end, they'll offer you 50k a year
                    I was thinking about that, your number sounds about right.

Not that it matters much but I went on a ir35 calculator, which showed that for an inside ir35 contract at 650 a day I'd need a 117k permanent job to get the same take home pay. Never ever going to happen. What they're most likely going to do is offer no more than half of that as a starting salary (so 55-60k) and then add the benefits.

Now I'm thinking about applying just because I want to see what the permie offer will be at the end of the 3 months (if they offer it, mind you)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I agree. In the quote you referred to I was discussing the perm aspect at the end. For that money in this climate I'd quite happily tell them I'd love to go perm and take it in until they drop the bomb as you say.
                      Another way would be to say, at the end of the 3 months, that I'm not 100% sure about going permanent so how about you extend me for another 3 months so I have a bit more time to think about that? And milk another 3 months at 650 a day, hoping the market will have opened up by then.

Comment

Working...
                      X