• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract to permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Care to explain this area interest me a lot

I know others who went on the Morgan Stanley grad scheme and spent five months in New York for a fully paid classroom training programme. With corp apartment etc. Not bad for a 22 year old.

So what was wrong with jp?

The comment a out free beer at jp must be a joke. Hardly a benefit to get a free beer on a Friday
    JPM is a huge organisation so experiences may vary. Mine was very much chained to the desk type environment (being away from my desk for more than 15 mins would raise eyebrows), 12hr shifts, heavy surveillance and extreme micromanagement.

I remember one time, one of the VP's in our team got bollocked by an MD because his stocks were "too bright" and he deemed it unprofessional.

Apart from that it wasn't too bad, we used have grilled swordfish for lunch.
    Last edited by sira; 23 October 2020, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

1 is actually very important - the one phrase that will scare HR more than an post April 2020 IR35 investigation is an Equal Pay claim....
      But why would they pay more? If it’s because I could scam them for equal pay and redundancy pay, then why don’t I take the direct job and just do that?

Comment

The comment a out free beer at jp must be a joke. Hardly a benefit to get a free beer on a Friday
        On Friday afternoons we weren’t expected to work. Just eat snacks and drink beer (being paid contract rates). So free £500 + unlimited beers, a bit of a benefit.

Sadly it went down from weekly to once a fortnight, now gone completely AFAIK.

Place I’m at now doesn’t even have free coffee or fruit.

(Not sure why I care, but I resent paying for coffee when THEY’RE the ones who want me to stay awake)

Comment

Hahahaha. You remind me of a contractor I worked with who used to steal food from the fridge and took toilet roll home from the office. ?

Stationery cupboard also always raided by him. It was hilarious

Seriously any self respecting contractor would buy Costa coffee for the whole team and if times were bad have to buy a £50 nspresso machibe

Comment

Hahahaha. You remind me of a contractor I worked with who used to steal food from the fridge and took toilet roll home from the office. ?

Stationery cupboard also always raided by him. It was hilarious

Seriously any self respecting contractor would buy Costa coffee for the whole team and if times were bad have to buy a £50 nspresso machibe
            I always buy coffee for the entire team in my 2000 square foot office. Sadly it’s just me. I hate this year.

Comment

Why?
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                Why?
                To be the generous one when renewal comes round and the budget can only pay for a single renewal.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There used to an eleventh commandment on this forum that contractors always picked up the beer tabs and treated the client and perms well for exactly three reason eek gave.

As more people became contractors and rates got reduced I think this has been forgotten

Comment

I'm quite happy to buy a round; just don't get the opportunity these days

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      To be the generous one when renewal comes round and the budget can only pay for a single renewal.
                      I've always prefered to be renewed based on merit, not on how much I've licked someone's a*se
                      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                      X