• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract to permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    I've always prefered to be renewed based on merit, not on how much I've licked someone's a*se
    Then you have a lot to learn on how important relationships and colleagues are to your success

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      I've always prefered to be renewed based on merit, not on how much I've licked someone's a*se
      I've always been renewed on merit, but it doesn't hurt to be liked rather than a necessity. Being generous and being liked means you can then get away with virtually anything because people trust you.

It's the same reason I talk to security guards and receptionists, keep everyone sweet, always be polite and life is easier all round.

And it also means you get the freebies (I spent 6 months with a crap PM, who always ended up in crap hotel rooms while I was always upgraded. But he was a pain and demanding and I was always nice).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I've always been renewed on merit, but it doesn't hurt to be liked rather than a necessity. Being generous and being liked means you can then get away with virtually anything because people trust you.

It's the same reason I talk to security guards and receptionists, keep everyone sweet, always be polite and life is easier all round.

And it also means you get the freebies (I spent 6 months with a crap PM, who always ended up in crap hotel rooms while I was always upgraded. But he was a pain and demanding and I was always nice).
        It's also just the decent thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          Place I’m at now doesn’t even have free coffee or fruit.
          Worst place I've been for this reason was a company called Aegon up in Edinburgh. No free coffee, no kitchen area, no kettles, nothing at all.

If you wanted a coffee or a tea it was canteen or nothing. I still remember people wanting to make their own tea so they'd bring their tea bag, get a cup of hot water with a splash of milk from the canteen and get charged something like 30p for it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            It's also just the decent thing to do.
            Being liked by the client is surely just common sense as it generates goodwill? I made a few small individual donations to an ongoing charity event that my client was running in the run up to my contract coming to an end where I had been told I wouldn't be extended. I helped out with something personal for the client manager and out of the blue I was asked if I would be interested in staying a bit longer. I managed to squeeze two months extra work out of it.

All other things being equal, it can only be good for your prospects.

Comment

Working...
            X