• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proving you lived at an address from 5 years ago?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proving you lived at an address from 5 years ago?

Going through the onboarding process of my first contract and they are asking for the most amount of info I've ever experienced. I thought the investment banks were bad, but this place wants proof of address for every place I've lived for the past 5 years. 5 years ago I was on a postgrad course that I left before finishing. I was living with a relative so the utilities weren't in my name and at the time I probably didn't even know what council tax even was. My stipend was untaxed since I was student, so no P60, but they don't accept that anyway. I can't seem to get a bank statement from back then either. The form says they only accept utility bills or bank statements.

Do I need to petition the researchers for Who Do You Think You Are? to help me out?

On one hand I'm a bit stressed out by this, but on the other I can't help but chuckle. Has anyone here ever had something fall through because you couldn't prove some requirement like this?
    Last edited by CynicalBroccoli; 7 October 2020, 21:17.

I once had to prove I had sufficient income for a rental so I just took a PDF bank statement and edited it to fake having a year's worth of rent in a savings account.

Comment

No, but they asked me for 11 references for the last place I rented plus I had to send them like 7-8 different documents.

Some british companies are just ridiculous. Is it like this anywhere else in the world?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I once had to prove I had sufficient income for a rental so I just took a PDF bank statement and edited it to fake having a year's worth of rent in a savings account.
        If it were for a rental, I'd almost definitely go down this route. The client's business, however, is basically all about authentication—so best not this time!

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalBroccoli View Post
          Going through the onboarding process of my first contract and they are asking for the most amount of info I've ever experienced. I thought the investment banks were bad, but this place wants proof of address for every place I've lived for the past 5 years. 5 years ago I was on a postgrad course that I left before finishing. I was living with a relative so the utilities weren't in my name and at the time I probably didn't even know what council tax even was. My stipend was untaxed since I was student, so no P60, but they don't accept that anyway. I can't seem to get a bank statement from back then either. The form says they only accept utility bills or bank statements.

Do I need to petition the researchers for Who Do You Think You Are? to help me out?

On one hand I'm a bit stressed out by this, but on the other I can't help but chuckle. Has anyone here ever had something fall through because you couldn't prove some requirement like this?
          Yes I’ve seen people walked of site for failing compliance checks

Worse one was the chap who got divorced, but his ex wife never paid her mobile phone bill that was in his name, he got a default against him (never knew a thing about it) but walked off site

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I've done something similar. If you do it, also change the date on your computer so you can save it at a date in the past

Comment

I had a year where I had no record of residence in my 20s. Luckily a guy in my bank at the time pulled me up on it, and told me to get my name on the electoral roll at every address I subsequently live at regardless of the length of time I stayed there.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I once had to provide 72 bank statements for proof of no income between contract

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalBroccoli View Post

Just did 5 years history back in July for a gig i'm currently in, it's normal in regulated financial industries.

Had 5 years on a SC clearance complete with history in 2 different countries for a well known Gov Dept in 2016.

But wait there's more (shows you a set of steak knives) , in 99 in the city, pre dot.boom a 10 year , yes , you read that right a 10 year check on me old good self for a gig at an IB at the place in broad gate circle where they banned the ice rink because everyone was getting pissed on gluvine at lunchtime and coming back pissed with broken bits .........

It's only going to get worse, so ahem, keep records......... its useful.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    No, but they asked me for 11 references for the last place I rented plus I had to send them like 7-8 different documents.

Some british companies are just ridiculous. Is it like this anywhere else in the world?
                    yes , Hong Kong similar, including face to face with immigration t go through your paperwork, but it's a roll of the dice, most Cantonese are super friendly and you'd be unlucky to find one that kicks it out of the cubicle.

Comment

Working...
                    X