• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got a new contract but start date is delayed due to DBS, I'm worried

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a new contract but start date is delayed due to DBS, I'm worried

Hey,
    I got a new contract finally however since it's working with a Govt. department so I need to get a basic DBS by Contracting firm.
    I only had a DBS back in 2014 so I had to reapply for it.
    DBS is saying it will take 14 days to get back to us. Although I have signed the contract with them I never got a starting date and they are yet to give me a date because of DBS. Initially it was suppose to be this week.

Will I be worried because they haven't given me an exact date despite asking many times?
    What can I do to make sure that I won't be fired before even starting or shall I still keep my options open?

Thanks

Not much you can do. I'd keep looking for other roles - you'd not be the first person to not get a start date confirmed and then told they're no longer required. A sigged contract should give you some level of confidence, but I'd not relax until I had my first timesheet to complete.

(PS. You're not "fired" from a contract)
    Last edited by Paralytic; 8 October 2020, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Not much you can do. I'd keep looking for other roles - you'd not be the first person to not get a start date confirmed and then told they're no longer required. A singed contract should give you some level of confidence, but I'd not relax until I had my first timesheet to complete.

Thanks.
      According to the contract they need to give me 10 days notice and they have engaged me this much time plus ask me to get more insurance etc. So can I not held them accountable for time & financial loss?

Comment

Takes a couple of days to get the certificate digitally, but you'll have to wait for a paper copy, then assign to the vetting team. They'll have trouble accessing it, so you'll have to walk them through their own process. No, a scanned copy won't do either. DBS has all changed this year.

Comment

It's a due diligence thing. They can have a target date but if they need a specific bit of paper before they can issue the contract then all you can do is wait for that bit of paper to come through.

Don't stop looking for a contract until your bum on the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            It's a due diligence thing. They can have a target date but if they need a specific bit of paper before they can issue the contract then all you can do is wait for that bit of paper to come through.

Don't stop looking for a contract until your bum on the seat.
            I have signed the contract and I am like 100% sure that my DBS will be clean. I haven't stopped looking but all of you know how the climate is? Not that many roles in the market.
            What I'm worried about is that despite the contract I will let go and not get paid anything at all? How should I check this?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rca View Post
              Thanks.
              According to the contract they need to give me 10 days notice and they have engaged me this much time plus ask me to get more insurance etc. So can I not held them accountable for time & financial loss?
              nope.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks.
                The contract will also say you get paid based on signed timesheets. You can be given notice, told there's no work for you (hence no timesheet to sign) and be on your way. I doubt your contract lets you charge them for consequential losses.

It will probably all be ok - the fact you have a signed contract is a good sign, so don't over-worry, but do keep looking (accepted, the market is not good).

Comment

Thanks.
                  You haven't worked anything so don't get paid anything so you haven't lost anything. Notice periods are pointless for us.

Quick answer. No.

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  And what he said

What I'm worried about is that despite the contract I will let go and not get paid anything at all?
                  You can't. Welcome to contracting. These are the risks and hoops we have to jump through which partly justify the high rates we get paid. The only thing you can do is continue applying for other gigs. If this goes belly up you are still looking.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 8 October 2020, 16:11.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you do the DBS yourself you have the result in hours (unless there is a problem)
                    Use the on-line ID service (free) and once iD-ed you can apply, had the result the same day

Comment

Working...
                    X