• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sopra Steria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sopra Steria

Been approached about an outside determined role with the above - poss. 18 months duration - gov dept. related - fully remote (not a tech role though). Early stage of discussion but thought I'd put feelers out on here. Any recent insights on working with them? Good/bad/indifferent?
    I've searched & last post I could see was 2019 but not based around experiences working with them; previous post to that was 2016...
    Clarity is everything

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Been approached about an outside determined role with the above - poss. 18 months duration - gov dept. related - fully remote (not a tech role though). Early stage of discussion but thought I'd put feelers out on here. Any recent insights on working with them? Good/bad/indifferent?
    I've searched & last post I could see was 2019 but not based around experiences working with them; previous post to that was 2016...
    If it's gov it's probably well covered IR35 wise. They've been doing this nearly two years now and are a lot less risk averse. The last two gov gigs I've worked on have a mix of inside and outside on site so are doing it properly where I've been.

If it you are on a gig I imagine Sopra won the work to supply a solution and will then fill it up with contractors so not much different to putting bums on seats. I'd imagine it's the gov dept you need to be looking at for working condition etc... Probably won't see Sopra week in week out.

EDIT : Oh.. do you mean paying on time, contracts provided on time and the agency type stuff? They are big enough to guess they'd be OK I'd say.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've not worked in Sopra, but have worked for their customers, and know a person who did a short stint with them.

Same as any large outsourcer. Depends on the people you work with and whether the customer is already peed off with the supplier.
      I'd count them in the same bucket as DXC, CapGem, ATOS etc.

18 months outside? Tuck in. Plenty of places to shine (or hide).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        If it's gov it's probably well covered IR35 wise. They've been doing this nearly two years now and are a lot less risk averse. The last two gov gigs I've worked on have a mix of inside and outside on site so are doing it properly where I've been.

If it you are on a gig I imagine Sopra won the work to supply a solution and will then fill it up with contractors so not much different to putting bums on seats. I'd imagine it's the gov dept you need to be looking at for working condition etc... Probably won't see Sopra week in week out.

EDIT : Oh.. do you mean paying on time, contracts provided on time and the agency type stuff? They are big enough to guess they'd be OK I'd say.
        Yes I was thinking more along those lines in your edit, although as yet, have no idea on day to day presence of SS, & as it's remote due to covid, I guess I won't find that out until there's an 'all clear' foghorn sounded at some point. Role expected to remain remote apparently but time will tell I'm sure if that stays that way. Lines seem to be My Ltd Co>Agent>SS>End Client...or should that be Agent>My Co>SS>Client?
        Last edited by SteelyDan; 20 October 2020, 12:43.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I've not worked in Sopra, but have worked for their customers, and know a person who did a short stint with them.

Same as any large outsourcer. Depends on the people you work with and whether the customer is already peed off with the supplier.
          I'd count them in the same bucket as DXC, CapGem, ATOS etc.

18 months outside? Tuck in. Plenty of places to shine (or hide).
          Yep, 18 months outside would help ride any storms I think. Fingers crossed on this.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            Yes I was thinking more along those lines in your edit, although as yet, have no idea on day to day presence of SS, & as it's remote due to covid, I guess I won't find that out until there's an 'all clear' foghorn sounded at some point. Role expected to remain remote apparently but time will tell I'm sure if that stays that way. Lines seem to be My Ltd Co>Agent>SS>End Client...or should that be Agent>My Co>SS>Client?
            I'm currently on site with a similar set up. Micro consultancy formed from agency delivering a service with contractors. 'Account Manager' provided by the consultancy but once we got running we've not seem them again.

Oh, saying that, you have an agency in there as well? Ah. might be slightly different then. I have no agency.
            Oh oh.. Sopra much bigger... OK so maybe not like me at all LOL. Sorry

I've only have two gov clients. Council which was an utter nightmare and a dept which I've been at twice and loved it.
            If it's 18 months, rate is OK and they leave you get on with it then you've done very well indeed. Fill you boots.

Comment

worked alongside them on client sites, like any similar organisation they have some good people and some not so good people, some good parts of their organisation and so not so good parts. I liked most of them.

been through the recruitment hoops with them too, took a lot of time and effort for them to think about things for a long time then just go quiet and disappear, so the whole way they treat people during that side of it leaves a lot to be desired.

good luck

Comment

I worked for them on a Gov site a good few years ago. They built up a test team expecting to win the bid, they didn't get the contract and had to cancel all the new starters. Wanted me to sack my team, I said "you hired them, you fire them". 6 weeks later I got another call "can you come back to the project".
                Last edited by anonymouse; 20 October 2020, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                  6 weeks later I got another call "can you come back to the project".
                  Can you post your answer to that in the professional forums?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm currently on site with a similar set up. Micro consultancy formed from agency delivering a service with contractors. 'Account Manager' provided by the consultancy but once we got running we've not seem them again.

Oh, saying that, you have an agency in there as well? Ah. might be slightly different then. I have no agency.
                    Oh oh.. Sopra much bigger... OK so maybe not like me at all LOL. Sorry

I've only have two gov clients. Council which was an utter nightmare and a dept which I've been at twice and loved it.
                    If it's 18 months, rate is OK and they leave you get on with it then you've done very well indeed. Fill you boots.
                    I think it's a case that someone at SS knows this agent, & has asked for them to find someone who can provide 'x'.
                    If it happens then I'll be pleased, obviously, but it's still early doors as I've not yet spoken/interviewed with the hirer at SS...they're apparently reviewing my details currently.

Re; your position seems something like one of those Managed Services set-ups...LAI by any chance with milestone deliverables?
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                    X