• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invest in properties now or wait?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can confidently predict that the market might go up or might go down.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      I can confidently predict that the market might go up or might go down.
      You could be wrong - it might stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
        I've good warchest currently , thinking of buying 2x BTL in North West. Was thinking if, maybe, anyone got some insights on where the market is heading, or have an interesting article to read on the topic (recent).
        I know brexit is coming and theres ongoing pandemic and T3 lockdown so was thinking to lowball on some properties perhaps , however the prices seem quite stable.
        Also buy when everyone is fearful..
        Buy if you get a good deal and if the numbers work for you.

Prices could well come down, but what if they don't? And so what if they do? So long as your money is working for you and earning a return - that is what counts.

I bought a property in 2007 for £165k. Its value fell to a low of £120k in 2011, but I couldn't have predicted that. In any case, the price fall didn't impact me. The house was rented out at £9k a year so over those 4 years it had returned £36k back to me anyway. Now that same house is worth £250k and is earning me £11k a year. If I had tried to time the market then I might not have bought at all, and would have missed out on all those years of income.

Having said that, I am in a position that I have a reasonably healthy portfolio and I am personally not in any rush to buy any more. I will be waiting, unless I see a great deal. I saw one such deal 2 months ago but Paragon wouldn't lend on it (the fools), so I let it go. I do see the market cooling off next year - but predictions rarely come true when everyone is expecting the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Buy if you get a good deal and if the numbers work for you.

Prices could well come down, but what if they don't? And so what if they do? So long as your money is working for you and earning a return - that is what counts.

I bought a property in 2007 for £165k. Its value fell to a low of £120k in 2011, but I couldn't have predicted that. In any case, the price fall didn't impact me. The house was rented out at £9k a year so over those 4 years it had returned £36k back to me anyway. Now that same house is worth £250k and is earning me £11k a year. If I had tried to time the market then I might not have bought at all, and would have missed out on all those years of income.

Having said that, I am in a position that I have a reasonably healthy portfolio and I am personally not in any rush to buy any more. I will be waiting, unless I see a great deal. I saw one such deal 2 months ago but Paragon wouldn't lend on it (the fools), so I let it go. I do see the market cooling off next year - but predictions rarely come true when everyone is expecting the same thing.
          Do you have interest only or repayment ?

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
            Do you have interest only or repayment ?
            What difference would that make to the discussion? Its all about price paid and yield you can obtain. I personally always use unencumbered properties to borrow against and then buy in cash and then repay the mortgage quickly but thats not part of the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
              What difference would that make to the discussion? Its all about price paid and yield you can obtain. I personally always use unencumbered properties to borrow against and then buy in cash and then repay the mortgage quickly but thats not part of the discussion.
              I suspect it does because it's getting harder to find Interest only BTL mortgages (because frankly the risk is incorrectly priced in those circumstances).
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                True. It shows he has no appreciation of what is going on here and the time it takes to post all this info.

I'm out.

Comment

Timing the market is a mug's game.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Timing the market is a mug's game.
                    True but you still have to look at fundamentals:-

1) is there much chance of capital appreciation (Nope)
                    2) is the annual return before appreciation worthwhile (Nope)
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      True. It shows he has no appreciation of what is going on here and the time it takes to post all this info.

I'm out.
                      I read all your posts.
                      You have portfolio of properties.
                      What’s your take on interest only vs repayment BTL mortgages ?

There’s good supply of properties in the area I’m watching at the moment (with none for sale 6 months ago). They didn’t seem to sell during stamp duty holidays. At the same time I don’t want to miss the boat when it will turn out the sun still comes after Brexit and it’s not as bad as everyone thought . So right now observing and weighting my options, collecting opinions, doing market research etc
                      Last edited by GitMaster69; 21 October 2020, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                      X