• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WWYD? - Recruiter misbehaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds bad, but I find with stuff like this it helps to err more on the side of flexibility in the interview, then state your 'conditions' when you get there and asked to do something specific

It's all about timing. e.g.

In interview:
    You: Hmm, I'm not sure I can do a lot of travel
    Interviewer: err

On the job:
    Person: Can you go up to XYZCity on Tuesday to Friday of next week?
    You: No, but I can do a day or perhaps we could make it a video call?
    Person: not a problem moves on with their life

Basically, don't rule yourself out when you don't have to, as these things are a lot more rationally dealt with when you're on the inside.
    You want to offer even more flexibility to the agent - "a bit of travel, no problem!" and again work out the details case by case when you get there.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      This sounds bad, but I find with stuff like this it helps to err more on the side of flexibility in the interview, then state your 'conditions' when you get there and asked to do something specific

It's all about timing. e.g.

In interview:
      You: Hmm, I'm not sure I can do a lot of travel
      Interviewer: err

On the job:
      Person: Can you go up to XYZCity on Tuesday to Friday of next week?
      You: No, but I can do a day or perhaps we could make it a video call?
      Person: not a problem moves on with their life

Basically, don't rule yourself out when you don't have to, as these things are a lot more rationally dealt with when you're on the inside.
      You want to offer even more flexibility to the agent - "a bit of travel, no problem!" and again work out the details case by case when you get there.
      I used to work for a consultancy as a permie years ago and trust me, when they find a gig for you, option is to take it. People are told to leave if they have issues travelling to a client site.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        I used to work for a consultancy as a permie years ago and trust me, when they find a gig for you, option is to take it. People are told to leave if they have issues travelling to a client site.
        +1 - consultancies make money from bums on seats at client sites - can't get to the client site time to find another contract.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          +1 - consultancies make money from bums on seats at client sites - can't get to the client site time to find another contract.
          Consultancies as a permie are the worse of both worlds. You don't even get a choice of which client site they send you too, you seem to be as expendable as a contractor, but with the lower pay of a permie and all the holiday restrictions and performance review bollocks that comes with it. Only just tolerable as a contractor.

Comment

Standard recruitment lies I'm afraid....

Many years ago I went for an interview for permie job. About 10 times the recruiter assured me it was in the south west just the interview was in london. So off I went.

First question - so role is in london, I assume you plan to relocate? End of interview.

To be fair, the recruiter did end up paying my train fare but still. His excuse "I thought you'd be keen on the role, like the look of London and change you're mind". Tosser.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Cool story bro.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Cool story bro.
                I've turned up for a contract interview to be told the interview was on another site 100+ miles away. I've turned up for a contract on a couple of occasions and the client has asked me why I was on site.

Misrepresenting a contract or job is not a cool story.

Comment

The good news:

You've had some decent interview practice.
                  The agent knows you can pass interviews so you'll be on their good list.

The bad news:
                  You've wasted four hours of your life.
                  That's nothing compared to middle of the night baby feeds.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    The good news:

The bad news:
                    but at the end of that you've got this human who will take your money and be ungrateful about it .. or am I thinking of an agent?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      The good news:

The bad news:
                      The baby has followed our eldest - slept through 7pm - 7am since 5 weeks old.

Not so good: Now baby is here, the eldest has decided to start waking up 3 or 4 times a night.

I wonder if it's too late to go back and say I'll gladly stay away?!

Comment

Working...
                      X