• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland - How much I should charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    That’s minimum wage isn’t it? Or near as damn it. Might as well work in a bar and at least get tips.
    (Apologies if I've missed the sarcasm/hyperbole.)

According to gov.uk, the national living wage (25 and up) is currently £8.72/hour. At 37½ hours per week, that's £327/week = £17,004/year. So, £35k is double that.

Comment

AV. salary in Switzerland is around £50K. 800CHF a day is £675 a day. Working just 40 weeks a year, that's still £135'000, (employer's NI and other overheads notwithstanding)
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think hobnob is questioning the average salary in the UK - I dont think those numbers including 35K are really representative of skilled professional IT contractors - That is the point that was being made

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
          (Apologies if I've missed the sarcasm/hyperbole.)

According to gov.uk, the national living wage (25 and up) is currently £8.72/hour. At 37½ hours per week, that's £327/week = £17,004/year. So, £35k is double that.
          Errr. What does uk minimum wage have to do with Switzerland?
          Their minimum wage is a LOT higher.
          Or at least for the Bernese canton anyway.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Errr. What does uk minimum wage have to do with Switzerland?
            Their minimum wage is a LOT higher.
            Or at least for the Bernese canton anyway.
            There's no national minimum wage - except in certain protected professions. Only Neuchâtel canton has a legal minimum wage (22.61 francs - about £19). Bern doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              There's no national minimum wage - except in certain protected professions. Only Neuchâtel canton has a legal minimum wage (22.61 francs - about £19). Bern doesn't.
              I must have misunderstood what I was being told.
              perhaps they meant what is the minimum paid to get staff, not necessarily a legal obligation. Certainly the bar staff in the ski resort I frequent are all on around 25CHF per hour and won't work for less. Minimum wage being the wage 'floor' rather than statutory.

Breaking news though..... Geneva introduces world highest minimum wage of $25 an hour - Business Insider.

Thing is with any comparisons with Switzerland, it's worth looking at the CHF price prior to the financial crisis. Their economy survived that remarkably well. At 2.2CHF to the GBP everything is a whole lot more reasonable. But at 1.4 it's horrific.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not 1.4 but 1.18 at the moment which is a further 20% difference

Comment

[QUOTE=edison;2822982]
                  Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  Not 1.4 but 1.18 at the moment which is a further 20% difference[/QUOTE]

Almost touched 2.5CHF to a pound in 2007. So about 53% fall since. By comparison, sterling has fallen about 36% versus USD and 27% versus the Euro in roughly the same time frame.
                  1.2 must have been blanked by my mind in shock.....
                  20 years ago skiing in the Bernese Oberland was a bargain. Not any more.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Some of it is simply the Swiss Franc being so strong. I know some resorts sell holidays to EU package customers at a savage discount. A few years ago I was at Leysin, and there was a British couple there. She wanted to give her family the usual Sunday roast and was totally outraged by the price of a chicken. And how small it was.

Meat is stupidly expensive here - even for those on Swiss salaries. Also, no one likes Swiss people so they don't have large families, so it's not always easy to find large cuts/amounts of meat.

I know a hunter, so I don't have this problem.

Comment

Nat Zurich totally changed me. I now eat fish and cheeses and rarely meat because I am too tight ?

Anyway keeping it professional forum Zurich is insanely expensive. Pizza 25 chf coffee 8 chf and everything in between from trainers to haircuts to clothes are insanely expensive that some people drive to Constanz to save a bit of money

Anyone thinking 800 chf is like 650 gbp a day is going to make an expensive mistake. I have seen some suckers agree a 500 chf rate because their Uk rate was £400?

Comment

Working...
                      X