• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland - How much I should charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practical advice for the OP.

If you can choose location, and want to maximise salary retention, Zurich is preferable.

Other factors to consider are language skills (do you speak German or French).

Lifestyle is a big selling point for Switzerland: COVID may put a dampener on some ski activities this winter.

Geneva is a manageable commute from France, where accommodation is much cheaper. For example, Annecy-Geneva Airport in 1 hour.

1000CHF would offer a comparable lifestyle to £600 in London. As other posters have said, you may expect to top out around 1200, but there is no harm asking for more.
    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
      Practical advice for the OP.

If you can choose location, and want to maximise salary retention, Zurich is preferable.

Other factors to consider are language skills (do you speak German or French).

Lifestyle is a big selling point for Switzerland: COVID may put a dampener on some ski activities this winter.

Geneva is a manageable commute from France, where accommodation is much cheaper. For example, Annecy-Geneva Airport in 1 hour.

1000CHF would offer a comparable lifestyle to £600 in London. As other posters have said, you may expect to top out around 1200, but there is no harm asking for more.
      All this Switzerland is expensive stuff doesn’t really apply at the moment, since everything is either closed or a virus-filled death trap. 2000 CHF a month for rent + food.

1000 CHF /day is achievable with no discernible skills or ability, so I’d imagine a security expert could get a few hundred more.

But rather than worry about the money you might want to consider the aforementioned problem: everything is either closed or a virus-filled death trap.

On the plus side, should the economy take a downwards turn they do have a nice year-on, year-off scheme where you get £80,000 for a year on the bench.

Comment

Anyone flying to Europe from UK for work now, should charge danger money i.e. bucket loads
        In one of the flights , you might catch covid .

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          All this Switzerland is expensive stuff doesn’t really apply at the moment, since everything is either closed or a virus-filled death trap.
          Nope. Nightclubs are closed. Bars are pretty restricted as well. But most everything else is open and no more virus filled than your local Tescos. Probably less.

On the plus side, should the economy take a downwards turn they do have a nice year-on, year-off scheme where you get £80,000 for a year on the bench.
          Up to £87,000 - for two years. But you have to show evidence that you are applying for jobs. At least four per week. And you have to have been contributing for at least a year.

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Anyone flying to Europe from UK for work now, should charge danger money i.e. bucket loads
          In one of the flights , you might catch covid .
          Given the air is replenished every few minutes entirely, it's kind of unlikely. You might also die horrifically in crash as well. Or be shot down by French separatists. But these are also kind of unlikely.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
            1000 CHF /day is achievable with no discernible skills or ability, so I’d imagine a security expert could get a few hundred more.
            Any examples of these rates? High rates (1000CHF+) are always quoted here for Switzerland but looking at the current market (past 12 months), I am seeing rates top out at 850CHF, with most recruiters trying to sell roles from 500CHF - 650 CHF.

Comment

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
              Any examples of these rates? High rates (1000CHF+) are always quoted here for Switzerland but looking at the current market (past 12 months), I am seeing rates top out at 850CHF, with most recruiters trying to sell roles from 500CHF - 650 CHF.
              This means nothing if you don't mention what the role is.

Comment

500CHF per day? That will barely cover your daily expenses!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  This means nothing if you don't mention what the role is.
                  Senior Developer Roles - Java, Data etc

Comment

Here’s a current one from jobserve 966 CHF / day (those crazy Swiss work 8.4 hour days). I’ll leave negotiating 34 CHF from the pimps 20% cut as an exercise for the contractor. No good for me since I don’t speak jibber-jabber.

Senior Java Developer - Banking
                    One of the largest banks firms in Zurich is looking for a Senior Java Developer to work on design and development of new platforms.
                    Key Requirements:
                    Excellent knowledge of Java
                    DevOps experience
                    Financial services experience desirable
                    Experience working on cutting edge, Real Time platforms
                    Must be Fluent in German
                    They have an excellent project scope and are looking for people for the long term.
                    Role: Contract
                    Rate: 100 - 115 CHF p/hour

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                      Nat Zurich totally changed me. I now eat fish and cheeses and rarely meat because I am too tight ������

Anyway keeping it professional forum Zurich is insanely expensive. Pizza 25 chf coffee 8 chf and everything in between from trainers to haircuts to clothes are insanely expensive that some people drive to Constanz to save a bit of money

Anyone thinking 800 chf is like 650 gbp a day is going to make an expensive mistake. I have seen some suckers agree a 500 chf rate because their Uk rate was £400������
                      Pizza in a non-expensive part of Zürich is 15 CHF

https://foodys24.ch/pizzeria-lapiazza/pickup

ditto everything else.

You can get by on a lot less if you know which area to live in.

I paid CHF 1200 for an appartment and other outgoings weren't much more than anywhere else. However if you're travelling back to the UK then flights will blow a huge hole in your finances.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 November 2020, 21:40.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X