• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handcuff clauses....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handcuff clauses....

Ok so this old chest nut

I’m with client A, the have a PSL agent B and they have shipped out my role to Agent C with whom I have my contract with.

Client A wants me to apply for a different role, which Agent B is going to approach me for. Agent C is asking for a cut which Agent B isn’t happy with and Client A doesn’t want the headache so won’t get involved.

Opt out was not done right, so I’m only tied to the standard 14 weeks, I’m happy to pay Agent C their cut x 14 weeks so I can take the other role.

I know most of the times this comes down to hot air rather than legal, but if it does go that far, does the fact I was willing to “buy out their clause” help me in anyway of it ever goes the full course?

In the good old days I could just was what’s your cut x 70, but as I’m on a deliverables schedule rather than T and M I think this is going to be a non-starter
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

No it doesn’t.
    You have started negotiation which in some ways might be helpful, but it’s also evidence.
    Did you mark your offer as ‘without prejudice’? I presume not as you’re asking.
    But that phrase allows you to engage in negotiation in a way that cannot be used as evidence in court.

You have basically admitted what you plan on doing, the fact it’s a breach, and accepted financial liability for it.

All that’s left is the price it will cost you.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Start up a new company and ignore it.

Comment

If Agent C wasn't involved in the new role they have absolutely no say in the matter. They cannot handcuff you to something they don't have just for the sake of it.

What exactly are they going to lose if you got for the gig with agent B? They will lose their commission for the role you are in for sure but they would lose that if you gave notice and went anywhere else. The fact its the same client is a red herring.
        Won't the be able to back fill you with someone else and carry on getting paid?.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Start up a new company and ignore it.
          Or go inside on the new contract, I assume that would have the same effect
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Or go inside on the new contract, I assume that would have the same effect
            Brolly rather than inside with the same Ltd. I’m not saying it’s bullet proof but it muddies the waters if that’s how you want to play it.

Comment

Working...
            X