• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the frontend/nodejs market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Or are 50% of people worse than average?!
    Depends if it's a bell curve or just a bell end.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      The problem is most people are just average - I mean I know all contractors on here need a good dose of humility and claim they are worth 1k a day because they are amazing but in reality thats not true.

Finding a USP which is really a USP and cannot be mimicked by someone else is frankly impossible....

Most of the time people have been in roles because they were available companies had cash and remote working never worked - This has in my opinion now changed to the detriment of contractors ..
      I take your point but the ability to turn up each day, do the job with a minimum of guidance then go home later isn't quite as common as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Fecking hate doing those roles.
        Yep, but it is a role.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If your skill is in an area where your counterpart working for the vendor charges €2K a day, there is always an arbitrage contracting opportunity somewhere, with space for your rate, an agent, and even an intermediary.

If it's in a generic area with rate suppression, and little opportunity for differentiation, I don't need to state the obvious.

On the state of the market thread a few weeks ago, someone shared a link to current rates bemoaning the depth of roles (correct) and the average rate outside London (also correct - the regional rates were all falling ).

However, across all categories, all the 10th percentile roles showed rate inflation. Don't take my word for it -- check it out. Boom time. Quality (or the perception of quality) sells.
          ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
            If your skill is in an area where your counterpart working for the vendor charges €2K a day, there is always an arbitrage contracting opportunity somewhere, with space for your rate, an agent, and even an intermediary.

If it's in a generic area with rate suppression, and little opportunity for differentiation, I don't need to state the obvious.

On the state of the market thread a few weeks ago, someone shared a link to current rates bemoaning the depth of roles (correct) and the average rate outside London (also correct - the regional rates were all falling ).

However, across all categories, all the 10th percentile roles showed rate inflation. Don't take my word for it -- check it out. Boom time. Quality (or the perception of quality) sells.
            Problem is, most in here are Johnny average generic skills, but still got £750 a day for last 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Problem is, most in here are Johnny average generic skills, but still got £750 a day for last 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Absolute nonsense. If someone was average they wouldn't be getting paid more than 95% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Absolute nonsense. If someone was average they wouldn't be getting paid more than 95% of the population.
                You really need to take everything GoT says with a large dose of salt. He likes the odd wind-up.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Just because your current skillset pays more than the amount 95% of the population earn - it's perfectly possible to be average (or worse) in that skillset.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Just because your current skillset pays more than the amount 95% of the population earn - it's perfectly possible to be average (or worse) in that skillset.
                    Possible? Highly likely from what I’ve seen of contractors over the years.
                    Availability wins over productivity in too many cases.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Yes but your skillset makes you above average.

Comment

Working...
                      X