• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the frontend/nodejs market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Possible? Highly likely from what I’ve seen of contractors over the years.
    Availability wins over productivity in too many cases.
    I agree that sometimes the better and more productive contractors don't always succeed against contractors who just seem to always find contracts but aren't actually that good.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I agree that sometimes the better and more productive contractors don't always succeed against contractors who just seem to always find contracts but aren't actually that good.
      I suspect it comes down to my comment in the other thread.

Liked and good enough will trump brilliant but an arse.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Quoted a client 60ph + VAT

ClientCO said can get superb workers much much cheaper around the world due to covid

go figure

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
          Quoted a client 60ph + VAT

ClientCO said can get superb workers much much cheaper around the world due to covid

go figure
          The client is weird they are supposed to try and negotiate with you.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The client is weird they are supposed to try and negotiate with you.
            At any point in a negotiation either side can walk away.

If the starting figure is £60 an hour and you know you can source workers at £30 an hour, why would you continue the negotiation.

Comment

you can't get quality at 30 ph, you get desperate dans with no warchest

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                you can't get quality at 30 ph, you get desperate dans with no warchest
                I can if I expand my search outside the UK ( and why wouldn't you given that everyone is working from home).

Either way you priced yourself too high for that client...
                Last edited by eek; 4 November 2020, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I can if I expand my search outside the UK ( and why wouldn't you given that everyone is working from home).

Either way you priced yourself too high for that client...
                  Are you needing the money cash coming in? If the answer was yes, "I do need the money", then I would have said £45ph but timebox the period of work ( e.g. 1 month duration and then I'd hike my price back up to £60). If the client co says the work is rubbish, then she can walk away, after one month. On the otherhand, she might say, this guy is good actually and keep you on, and she might counter offer, chucking £55ph back your way after the trial period.

You know, it reminds me of a few house builders from the past. They would be off somewhere else, to another customer, whilst I was festering after my gaff, and they secretly finish off some gaffers bathroom tiling or whatnot.

Ah! Those days of back-to-back jobs are not coming back at all any time soon. Sigh.
                  Last edited by rocktronAMP; 5 November 2020, 17:17. Reason: grammar and too fast typing

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    Are you needing the money cash coming in? If the answer was yes, "I do need the money", then I would have said £45ph but timebox the period of work ( e.g. 1 month duration and then I'd hike my price back up to £60). If the client co says the work is rubbish, then she can walk away, after one month. On the otherhand, she might say, this guy is good actually and keep you on, and she might counter offer, chucking £55ph back your way after the trial period.

You know, it reminds me of a few house builders from the past. They would be off somewhere else, to another customer, whilst I was festering after my gaff, and they secretly finish off some gaffers bathroom tiling or whatnot.

Ah! Those days of back-to-back jobs are not coming back at all any time soon. Sigh.
                    I'm not the one looking for work - at the moment I'm offloading anything and everything I can as I have too much to do.

Comment

If anyone is looking for a permie role (good salary) WFH forever in any of below roles drop me a PM

1. Looker developer, SQLm, python, databricks, snowflake etc

Or

2. Full stack software engineer (fintech , tools, dashboards automation)

Or

3. .Net senior dev, stong OOD, C#, containers (Docker, Kubernetes) node js. Asp.net (might need occasional vista to Newcastle)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X