• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Register In Germany before brexit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    That's not the whole reason.
    Even if we'd done it, we don't seem to ever want to spend any money on enforcement of almost anything, unlike a lot of the rest of the EU.
    Also in many EU countries the benefits systems rely on prior contributions.
    We actually have quite a few structural differences.
    It needed an ID card to enforce. That was politically unpopular.

Now look where we are.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      That's because Blair was using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Other countries have cards e.g. Ireland and numbers that allow you access to benefits but aren't "ID cards".
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The notion about EU citizens just coming and claiming benefits I believe is misleading. You can’t without going through the hurdles of getting accomodation without income, nino, bank statements paperwork.

An easier route for getting residency permit might be to invest in a property in portugal, or my favourite: go to the local titty bar and merry someone from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Now look where we are.
          No it didn't. ID cards would have added one more layer to things we don't bother to enforce, and cost everyone a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by pkalluri View Post
            Hi ,

Can someone please share knowledge on how to register in Germany before Brexit to get Residence permit and the biometric card.I have no intention to stay and work in Germany but would like to get Residence permit for me to work there in 2021 if things do turn bad here in UK.
            You need to be legally resident in an EU country before the end of 2020. Each country varies in exactly what they require and how they administer the process. In some, it's sufficient simply to be legally resident (declaratory), in others there's also a registration process (constitutive).

The main problem is of course Covid-related restrictions. You might be able to find a lawyer to do the necessary for you in Germany. At a minimum that would involve renting a flat and there will probably be health and social insurance registration implications.

You don't have to be present in the country on 31/12, but you can't be absent for more than six months per year while you're building up 5 years towards permanent residence.

If you're prepared to plough a bit of cash into it, you might therefore be able to have the optionality of getting a few months into the year and deciding whether you want to move to Germany to work. But if you move there, and move away again, you will lose all rights under the Withdrawal Agreement and become a third-country national.

I'm not sure I'd bother personally, because among all the EU-27 Germany is known for having quite a good and efficient process for third-country nationals via the Blue Card. (This is EU-wide, but again, all member states administer it differently).

Comment

Hi ,

Can someone please share knowledge on how to register in Germany before Brexit to get Residence permit and the biometric card.I have no intention to stay and work in Germany but would like to get Residence permit for me to work there in 2021 if things do turn bad here in UK.

Can this be achieved in a day trip or do they hold the passport for a while to be sent back with the residence sticker.

Thanks
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              No it's not. It's down right daft. Definitely one for general....
              NLUK has the correct answer. If you want serious answers then the BAMF website has it all for you but you ain't going to get either with your thinking
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Hi ,

Can this be achieved in a day trip or do they hold the passport for a while to be sent back with the residence sticker.

Thanks
                you do know that Brexit has already happened? Or have u woken up from a rather long nap?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
                  you do know that Brexit has already happened? Or have u woken up from a rather long nap?
                  Brexit happened at the end of January, but we are in a transition period. Thus in principle one can still move to an EU member state, and EU citizens to the UK, although it's not easy with Covid restrictions etc.

Comment

I'm going through the same process, so might be able to help. Most of the information is in the link below. Essentially, you need to do Anmeldung in Germany (this is possible online due to the pandemic) then fill in an online form (link at the bottom of the webpage). You'll then be invited to come for an interview.

Departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit) - Berlin.de

Btw, if you don't have a place to do Anmeldung, feel free to give me a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by je vais a la plage View Post
                      I'm going through the same process, so might be able to help. Most of the information is in the link below. Essentially, you need to do Anmeldung in Germany (this is possible online due to the pandemic) then fill in an online form (link at the bottom of the webpage). You'll then be invited to come for an interview.

Departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit) - Berlin.de

Btw, if you don't have a place to do Anmeldung, feel free to give me a shout.
                      Very nice of you to offer help but this bit is exactly what the OP hasn't done and isn't going to do:

Who is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement?
                      Are you a UK national or a family member of a UK national and already living in Germany in accordance with EU law or moving to Germany by 31.12.2020? Will you continue to live in Germany after 31.12.2020?
                      If so, then you have a right of residence here conferred by EU law.
                      Hi ,

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X