• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pictavia View Post
    If you are supposed to be a full-time employee of company A and do work for company B at the same time, then there is probably a conflict of interests and grounds for dismissal should your employer find out. You may get away with this in the short term, but if you are required to work on site when the covid rules ease, it will be difficult managing both commitments.

Many people have to work part-time at weekends or in the evening in addition to a FT job, that's ok providing boundaries are established and respected.
    Depends on the contract of employment. If they're that sloppy that they've not included a "no outside work" type of clause, OP could be correct. Agreed, though, Ts & Cs should be checked for this too.

On site commitments could also be an issue. Definitely needs factoring in. Check your right of substitution on the contract and you could get someone to cover for you as required.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Depends on the contract of employment. If they're that sloppy that they've not included a "no outside work" type of clause, OP could be correct. Agreed, though, Ts & Cs should be checked for this too.
      And checked carefully because other, not so obvious clauses will come in to play. If it states in 8.5 hours 9 to 5 then they are done. They cannot work on anything betweek those times. Out of hours is different but that's not what this thread is asking.

On site commitments could also be an issue. Definitely needs factoring in. Check your right of substitution on the contract and you could get someone to cover for you as required.
      I don't think that is how substitution is supposed to work and can forgive a client for saying that is not acceptable. If he wants a couple of weeks or longer then maybe but the substitute needs to be a trained equivalent that can substitute, not cover, or fill in i.e. they can continue the work seemlessly. That won't really be the case if he's attending a few meetings as the handover will be done in client time. Interesting situation but I don't think this is of any help in this situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And checked carefully because other, not so obvious clauses will come in to play. If it states in 8.5 hours 9 to 5 then they are done. They cannot work on anything betweek those times. Out of hours is different but that's not what this thread is asking.
        It needs to be considered, though, especially when managing contract client expectations.

I don't think that is how substitution is supposed to work and can forgive a client for saying that is not acceptable. If he wants a couple of weeks or longer then maybe but the substitute needs to be a trained equivalent that can substitute, not cover, or fill in i.e. they can continue the work seemlessly. That won't really be the case if he's attending a few meetings as the handover will be done in client time. Interesting situation but I don't think this is of any help in this situation.
        Depends on the end client. If they just want the code fixing, does it matter if it's the OP, his sister or Dave in his support bubble who deliver it? That should be made clear in the contract. Also, if there isn't a right of substitution, there's a risk that the OP will burn out very quickly.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          It needs to be considered, though, especially when managing contract client expectations.

Depends on the end client. If they just want the code fixing, does it matter if it's the OP, his sister or Dave in his support bubble who deliver it? That should be made clear in the contract. Also, if there isn't a right of substitution, there's a risk that the OP will burn out very quickly.
          Yup. Agreed to both.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
            So I took a permie job to pay the bills, and while the pay isn't too bad considering the market these days, the job is not what I thought it would be at all. They neglected to mention that it's all refactoring crap code written by Bangalorean offshore firms. Of course, after a month there, there hasn't been much finished work for me to refactor, so I spend maybe two hours a day max doing actual work for them.

In the meantime, I got offered a 600/day contract. It's probably crap work as well, but the rate is good and it'll further fill up the war chest should things really go bad in the future. Strangely, my employment contract has no clause about not working for anyone else at all. It has loads of stuff about confidentiality and data protection and all that .. but it only says that I need to give my best efforts to them during working hours. It's a huge screw-up on their part, but presumably, that can mean that I should be able to do the other work during off-hours. But there is nothing that says that I must be exclusive to them. Nothing in the Employee Handbook either.

Has anyone managed to make this work?
            My advice is to put your health and well-being before a few digits on a computer. I'm currently balancing a permie role with a one-day-per-week college course since October and I'm already knackered mentally.

Comment

I think one month is a little early to be sure that this permie job is going to take up two hours a day. You could easily get an email that says "Monday you are going to start with a new team, they are fully agile and do pair programming 7 hours a day..."

Comment

Take the 6 month contract. What's the full time job pay 60k? You will invoice more than that in the 6 month period.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Take the 6 month contract. What's the full time job pay 60k? You will invoice more than that in the 6 month period.
                  What's he going to do if he gets canned early or what about the next 6 months or more on the bench as this one ends right when IR35 hits. Really poor advice.

Comment

What's he going to do if he gets canned early or what about the next 6 months or more on the bench as this one ends right when IR35 hits. Really poor advice.
                    You can imagine jayn200 gambling someone else’s money on a fruit machine then commiserating with them £50 gone later.

Comment

Sorry I mean to do both. You buy yourself an entire year doing that. Sure the contract market will still likely be tulip but the perm market won't be any worse than it is now.

Comment

Working...
                      X