• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Take the 6 month contract. What's the full time job pay 60k? You will invoice more than that in the 6 month period.
    What you’re suggesting is to do both full time (16 hours a day), or cheat either one or both companies.
    Either way it’s a terrible suggestion.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      What you’re suggesting is to do both full time (16 hours a day), or cheat either one or both companies.
      To each their own. We will probably be locked down in some form or another till April or May. There may be little to no more outside contracts come April. Better to work as much as you can while opportunities are there and then coast when they aren't. Right now he has opportunity to make enough money to coast for a year+ at his perm salary take-home. Would be foolish not to.

Comment

I've found clients are usually much happier to pay £300 a day for something that takes "3 days" than pay £900 a day for something that takes 1 day. If they get what they wanted at the end of 3 days does it matter how long it actually took?

Comment

To each their own. We will probably be locked down in some form or another till April or May. There may be little to no more outside contracts come April. Better to work as much as you can while opportunities are there and then coast when they aren't. Right now he has opportunity to make enough money to coast for a year+ at his perm salary take-home. Would be foolish not to.
          that's just stupid.
          3 month burn out..... Then lose both gigs.

better to do the FT job, and 2-3 hours a day of contract. And the occasional weekend. Average around 2-3 days a week contract billing. That's doable and can still add value.
          5 days a week isn't.
          Last edited by Lance; 12 November 2020, 11:14.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No chance. Maybe in particular niche roles but you take 20 random contractors and ask them if they have the time or bandwidth to take on a second gig you have to ask a hell of a lot more than 20 contractors before you could find one that can make it work. Hell, in some offices I've worked in not even 1 in 20 knew they could even do this let alone make it stick.
            I have difficultly finding enough time for 1 client. I have negotiated my current client down to 4 days and even then I am finding it difficult to fit in all the non-work stuff. The previous client was 3 days and that worked well. But 5 days of 2 clients - no way - I need at least a few hours sleep a day.

Comment

I think people are thinking too much into it.

Take both roles and, Make It Work.

And if it doesn't, drop one.

OP, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                I think people are thinking too much into it.

Take both roles and, Make It Work.

And if it doesn't, drop one.

OP, good luck.
                Wow.. You've excelled yourself even by your standards there... :
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
                  That last part is the one I'm worried about. Two-hour meetings scheduled in the same time slots and stuff like that.
                  It sounds pretty stressful. If you're really keen, take the contract and don't mind if you get fired from the permie role.

Comment

that's just stupid.
                    3 month burn out..... Then lose both gigs.

better to do the FT job, and 2-3 hours a day of contract. And the occasional weekend. Average around 2-3 days a week contract billing. That's doable and can still add value.
                    5 days a week isn't.
                    I guess if thats all you got in you, some of us aren't 50+ though and can handle it.

Comment

I guess if thats all you got in you, some of us aren't 50+ though and can handle it.
                      I'm not 50+ and when I was 30+ I often did 2 contracts - one FT and one PT. Was tulip not having time to do nothing.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X