• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it once to work out the notice period of the permie role, no one noticed and double income was great

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I'm not 50+ and when I was 30+ I often did 2 contracts - one FT and one PT. Was tulip not having time to do nothing.
      Please tell me what we can do right now that would be missing out on?

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        I guess if thats all you got in you, some of us aren't 50+ though and can handle it.
        I am 50+ but have a different approach that I don't recommend. Those that know this already do it.

Work 4 hours each day on each client. And bill both of them for 8 hours.
        You've got to be good to do that. It's not gong to work for a bum on seat programmer. But doing designs, for both clients where the projects are similar can work quite well.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I am 50+ but have a different approach that I don't recommend. Those that know this already do it.

Work 4 hours each day on each client. And bill both of them for 8 hours.
          You've got to be good to do that. It's not gong to work for a bum on seat programmer. But doing designs, for both clients where the projects are similar can work quite well.
          I was just joking around with the 50+ comment but yeah that's good you have been able to make it work with 2 clients. I have only had overlap one time for a month. I just think now is an extraordinary time and we can't do anything with our down time now anyway so may as well get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            I think people are thinking too much into it.

Take both roles and, Make It Work.

And if it doesn't, drop one.

OP, good luck.
            That's pretty much the idea. Were it not for Covid, I'd have quit this job already. If they drop me because they found out about my side-gig, I won't lose any more than 10 seconds of sleep over it. The second gig, I found out is an eight-week-rolling contract so it may or may not last long anyway. The good news is that it turns out I have to work with their US office - Chicago time zone. So nobody is going to be ready for any meetings before 4 or 5 pm here anyway. So I'm not even worried about it anymore. Hell, I can barely find 3 hours of work to do for my current employer and the one .. we'll see.

Thanks for all the pros and cons, everyone. It was all helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
              That's pretty much the idea. Were it not for Covid, I'd have quit this job already. If they drop me because they found out about my side-gig, I won't lose any more than 10 seconds of sleep over it. The second gig, I found out is an eight-week-rolling contract so it may or may not last long anyway. The good news is that it turns out I have to work with their US office - Chicago time zone. So nobody is going to be ready for any meetings before 4 or 5 pm here anyway. So I'm not even worried about it anymore. Hell, I can barely find 3 hours of work to do for my current employer and the one .. we'll see.

Thanks for all the pros and cons, everyone. It was all helpful.
              So, as with nearly all these types of questions, you've picked the one post you really wanted to hear and you are good to go?

Good luck.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                So, as with nearly all these types of questions, you've picked the one post you really wanted to hear and you are good to go?

Good luck.
                More like I'm not hearing any compelling reasons not to.

Comment

More like I'm not hearing any compelling reasons not to.
                  More like you can't see any downside so ignore the antis.

It may work, it may not - there is only 1 way to find out...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    More like you can't see any downside so ignore the antis.

It may work, it may not - there is only 1 way to find out...
                    See? Now you get it.

Comment

See? Now you get it.
                      That was my first post on this topic as I always had an answer - I know people who have pulled it off (it's achievable if you know the technology better than the clients so can make 1 hours solid work look like 1/2 to a full day).

But it's probably far harder to pull it off in a full development role rather than a low code-ish consulting role.

Personally I don't sell time I sell SoW and delivery - where it's far easier to hide productivity gains.
                      Last edited by eek; 12 November 2020, 19:51.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X