• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
    More like I'm not hearing any compelling reasons not to.
    Yep.. about par for the course with these questions...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Yep.. about par for the course with these questions...
      Oh scrumblenumpkin, stop being so bloody dreary!

Comment

That's pretty much the idea. Were it not for Covid, I'd have quit this job already. If they drop me because they found out about my side-gig, I won't lose any more than 10 seconds of sleep over it. The second gig, I found out is an eight-week-rolling contract so it may or may not last long anyway. The good news is that it turns out I have to work with their US office - Chicago time zone. So nobody is going to be ready for any meetings before 4 or 5 pm here anyway. So I'm not even worried about it anymore. Hell, I can barely find 3 hours of work to do for my current employer and the one .. we'll see.

Thanks for all the pros and cons, everyone. It was all helpful.
        Good luck.

Have fun with it.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

That's pretty much the idea. Were it not for Covid, I'd have quit this job already. If they drop me because they found out about my side-gig, I won't lose any more than 10 seconds of sleep over it. The second gig, I found out is an eight-week-rolling contract so it may or may not last long anyway. The good news is that it turns out I have to work with their US office - Chicago time zone. So nobody is going to be ready for any meetings before 4 or 5 pm here anyway. So I'm not even worried about it anymore. Hell, I can barely find 3 hours of work to do for my current employer and the one .. we'll see.

Thanks for all the pros and cons, everyone. It was all helpful.
          I think you've got to look at just more than pros and cons.

The main part is the legal side before you look at the pros and cons. Is the perm contracted worded in any way that will prevent you doing the other role, be it directly or via a conflict of interests type clause?

The new information that changes things in the pros and cons in that it's working with a Chicago client. You'll essentially be working 9am to midnight (ish) five days a week and if you think you can handle that, go for it.

The downside is cocking around with the tax calculations of working the two types of job.

The only part that I'd say you'd have to manage is isolating the two from each other. Personally, I'd get a separate PC for the other gig so that you can be working both at the same time, if need be, more easily. For the sake of £500, it saves making any mistakes and keeps the two pieces of work separate from each other - you can offer the kit up for inspection independently of each other if they get fussy then.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

He's got the post he wants and has made his mind up. No need for common sense and good advice..
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              No need for common sense and good advice..
              Maybe that's why he asked here?

Comment

Working...
              X