• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working a full-time contract on the side while permie

So I took a permie job to pay the bills, and while the pay isn't too bad considering the market these days, the job is not what I thought it would be at all. They neglected to mention that it's all refactoring crap code written by Bangalorean offshore firms. Of course, after a month there, there hasn't been much finished work for me to refactor, so I spend maybe two hours a day max doing actual work for them.

In the meantime, I got offered a 600/day contract. It's probably crap work as well, but the rate is good and it'll further fill up the war chest should things really go bad in the future. Strangely, my employment contract has no clause about not working for anyone else at all. It has loads of stuff about confidentiality and data protection and all that .. but it only says that I need to give my best efforts to them during working hours. It's a huge screw-up on their part, but presumably, that can mean that I should be able to do the other work during off-hours. But there is nothing that says that I must be exclusive to them. Nothing in the Employee Handbook either.

Has anyone managed to make this work?

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
    So I took a permie job to pay the bills, and while the pay isn't too bad considering the market these days, the job is not what I thought it would be at all. They neglected to mention that it's all refactoring crap code written by Bangalorean offshore firms. Of course, after a month there, there hasn't been much finished work for me to refactor, so I spend maybe two hours a day max doing actual work for them.

In the meantime, I got offered a 600/day contract. It's probably crap work as well, but the rate is good and it'll further fill up the war chest should things really go bad in the future. Strangely, my employment contract has no clause about not working for anyone else at all. It has loads of stuff about confidentiality and data protection and all that .. but it only says that I need to give my best efforts to them during working hours. It's a huge screw-up on their part, but presumably, that can mean that I should be able to do the other work during off-hours. But there is nothing that says that I must be exclusive to them. Nothing in the Employee Handbook either.

Has anyone managed to make this work?
    yes.
    Make sure the contract client is aware that you have other 'clients' lest they be surprised.

And get invoicing.

The hardest part will be balancing demands when they both want you at the same time. You'll have to manage that very carefully.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      yes.
      Make sure the contract client is aware that you have other 'clients' lest they be surprised.

And get invoicing.

The hardest part will be balancing demands when they both want you at the same time. You'll have to manage that very carefully.
      That last part is the one I'm worried about. Two-hour meetings scheduled in the same time slots and stuff like that.

Comment

That last part is the one I'm worried about. Two-hour meetings scheduled in the same time slots and stuff like that.
        so you tell the contract client you're not available.
        As long as they know you have other work, and that you're not billing them for time you're not doing it should be all good.
        It's a positive outside IR35 pointer as well. So double bonus.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think Lance is giving the OP false hope. His situation is one in millions. The contract may not mention doing work for other companies because there is an assumption is the OP won't have time to. He will be carrying out the other documented aspect which will be 8 hour day between 9 and 5. He won't be able to carry that obligation out out if he's doing 8 hours work for his contracting client.

Even if work doubles to 4 hours he's still got another 8 to do on the contract making 12 hours a day and that doesn't even factor clashes in work and meetings. I can't see anyone going for that.

If work does ramp up he's likely to be in a position where he's gonna get himself sacked from one or or the other. If it's the full time job then he's in a world of trouble what with the current situation out there.

When you say offered you mean the contract is there ready to sign with the client and agent well aware of your situation? There is still the unknown of your employer but just trying to understand your exact stiatuion.

I'm also a believe that if you have to ask then it's probably not going to work. I doubt Lance had to ask anyone, he had the wherewithall to get on with it and make it stick.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 11 November 2020, 11:38.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've thought this too, as remote dev/refactor it should be do-able, but if you're on a team/squad/agile then a lot harder.

Not possible for me, I'm 100% remote but US client so afternoons busy , meeting confetti tbh.

but the rate is good .......... should things really go bad
            in the future.
            I like your perspective.

Comment

If you are supposed to be a full-time employee of company A and do work for company B at the same time, then there is probably a conflict of interests and grounds for dismissal should your employer find out. You may get away with this in the short term, but if you are required to work on site when the covid rules ease, it will be difficult managing both commitments.

Many people have to work part-time at weekends or in the evening in addition to a FT job, that's ok providing boundaries are established and respected.

Comment

Most perm roles are exclusive (at least in my limited experience) - if it's not mentioned in the contract then I wonder what the default position is ? - maybe run it past a legal type ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I think Lance is giving the OP false hope. His situation is one in millions. The contract may not mention doing work for other companies because there is an assumption is the OP won't have time to. He will be carrying out the other documented aspect which will be 8 hour day between 9 and 5. He won't be able to carry that obligation out out if he's doing 8 hours work for his contracting client.

Even if work doubles to 4 hours he's still got another 8 to do on the contract making 12 hours a day and that doesn't even factor clashes in work and meetings. I can't see anyone going for that.

If work does ramp up he's likely to be in a position where he's gonna get himself sacked from one or or the other. If it's the full time job then he's in a world of trouble what with the current situation out there.

When you say offered you mean the contract is there ready to sign with the client and agent well aware of your situation? There is still the unknown of your employer but just trying to understand your exact stiatuion.

I'm also a believe that if you have to ask then it's probably not going to work. I doubt Lance had to ask anyone, he had the wherewithall to get on with it and make it stick.
                  1 in 20 rather than 1 in millions.
                  Your point is valid though. It's not easy and the only reason I know how to do it as I used to work as a consultant and was encouraged to 'double bubble'

The trick is expectation management. And that's why at least one party must know what's going on and willing to accept that they get 2nd call on your time.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    1 in 20 rather than 1 in millions.
                    No chance. Maybe in particular niche roles but you take 20 random contractors and ask them if they have the time or bandwidth to take on a second gig you have to ask a hell of a lot more than 20 contractors before you could find one that can make it work. Hell, in some offices I've worked in not even 1 in 20 knew they could even do this let alone make it stick.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X