• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Contract due to end week before Christmas - market isn't looking great, although client has mentioned possible perm offering, which will be a tough decision as well aware of the pitfalls, but this has been one of the best client or employer I have ever worked with/for.
    Ask for the job description to be significantly different than the work you are currently doing and grab it - next year is going to be a mare.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Ask for the job description to be significantly different than the work you are currently doing and grab it - next year is going to be a mare.
      The job is actually different (I'm an IT BA, and this would be Business Change for a separate programme working for a different entity within the group), so from that perspective I'm reasonably comfortable.

Less comfortable is the fact they are suggesting a new 6 month contract for the new position, followed by a perm role....

However, nothing has been agreed as yet, but getting a few contacts about Inside IR35 roles which, in the current climate, I wouldn't be adverse to...!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
        The job is actually different (I'm an IT BA, and this would be Business Change for a separate programme working for a different entity within the group), so from that perspective I'm reasonably comfortable.

Less comfortable is the fact they are suggesting a new 6 month contract for the new position, followed by a perm role....

However, nothing has been agreed as yet, but getting a few contacts about Inside IR35 roles which, in the current climate, I wouldn't be adverse to...!
        I would point out that that new contract would make things very difficult for you and would it be possible to sort out the permanent role now as (insert vague reason say mortgage) from January.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

246 days expected to be build by EOY at personal best rate.

What went well
          Family are all healthy, kept hold of a contract for the whole year.
          WFH full time but made sure work life balance had improved.

What went bad
          Not exercised as much as I would like.
          No holidays and cant plan for a big birthday next year.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Billed 58 days Nothing since March 31st.

What went well
            I planned my finances reasonably well, so have managed to cope until now.

What went badly
            Two interviews out of 229 applications, no roles.

I've had to sell the car to pay the mortgage.

My PSC is going under in January.

Last client told us they had to get rid of all contractors. Except they didn't do that. They got rid of all but one of us, who was extended and is still working there. (He's awful, but he talks the talk.)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkpaw View Post

What went well

What went badly

Last client told us they had to get rid of all contractors. Except they didn't do that. They got rid of all but one of us, who was extended and is still working there. (He's awful, but he talks the talk.)
              Sorry to hear that. Hope things pick up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkpaw View Post

What went well

What went badly

Really sorry to hear that.

There's always one contractor who is the client's favourite. We have one of those at my current client and I'm sure he will outlive the "no contractors" rule that is coming into force here now. I myself will be leaving soon.

Might be time to consider a change? Easier said than done, I know, but if the current situation isn't working, is there something different you can do?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Really sorry to hear that.

There's always one contractor who is the client's favourite. We have one of those at my current client and I'm sure he will outlive the "no contractors" rule that is coming into force here now. I myself will be leaving soon.

Might be time to consider a change? Easier said than done, I know, but if the current situation isn't working, is there something different you can do?
                  usually the favourite contractor is just an arse-licker. That's really annoying. If they're any good then it's less annoying.
                  If it's you then
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    usually the favourite contractor is just an arse-licker. That's really annoying. If they're any good then it's less annoying.
                    If it's you then
                    We were the two software testers on the team, but he never thought things through. This is the sort of thing he used to do:

The list of responses must never be empty.

Code:
                    void iterateOverListOfResponses(List<Response> responses) {
                      for(Response r : responses) {
                        if(r.errorCode == 1) {
                          throw new Exception("Balls");
                        }
                      }
                    }
                    He never checked that the List had anything in it, so because none of the responses (of which there were none) contained an error code, the test would pass. I swear, the number of times I had to reject his PRs for this sort of thing... And I was the one they got rid of.

Comment

Expecting to bill around 270 days this year. It's been a good year.

Comment

Working...
                      X